Thread: Moa Quad or Mil Quad?

dp2826

Moa Quad or Mil Quad?

Looking to get started in precison shooting. Recently picked up a model 10 FCP-SR 6.5 Creedmoor at Scheels.

In searching for a budget scope the SWFA SS 10X keeps coming up and I think this would fit the bill. But not sure which model to go with.

Will be shooting out to 300 yards at the range and would like to shoot even further distances when I get that down.

Basic Member
    Either it's your preference, but it's nice to speak the same language as everyone else. If the majority use Mils go that route or vice versa. I also like Mils because of the smaller easier to translate numbers. Again, it's all personal preference.

dp2826
    I know its kind of a preference thing but I've never really used either. Only scope I own or ever used is an old Tasco 3x9 I put on my 10/22 when I was 13.

I've done enough reading to make my head spin. But I think I'm leaning toward the mil-quad. I don't want the mil-dot version correct? I read that makes for harder calcs being it has mil-dot reticle and moa turrets?

Basic Member
    I preferred the Mil-Quad over the Mil-Dot when I ran an SWFA scope.

Basic Member
    When I ordered the SWFA10x for my 22 rimfire pistol I went with the MOA. Inches are just easier for me to calculate in my old brain. Guys using Mil swear its easier.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    When I ordered the SWFA10x for my 22 rimfire pistol I went with the MOA. Inches are just easier for me to calculate in my old brain. Guys using Mil swear its easier.
    You just stop thinking in inches and think in Mils. That's all there is to think about so you just get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    You just stop thinking in inches and think in Mils. That's all there is to think about so you just get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I must have taken too much shop class in High School.

Basic Member
    Regardless, make sure the turrets match the reticle. Go mil/mil or moa/moa.

Also, some of theirs have reticles with subtension marks. I much prefer those. Busier, but you can see / measure fractions of mils better with them.

Basic Member
    I like MOA... I want that same scope in 20x...

Basic Member
    I would agree that it's totally preference. Just make sure your turrets and reticle match. If you plan on shooting with a group of friends it is easier to use what they have so you can use your rifle scopes as spotter's and speak in the same unit of measure.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Regardless, make sure the turrets match the reticle. Go mil/mil or moa/moa..
    Precisely. Mixing and matching is a recipie for alcoholism... My scope is mil/mil, but as long as it's matched it really doesn't matter.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    That is the key right there. It's kinda like learning a foreign language... once you start learning to think in that language, it comes much more natural than trying to convert back & forth. I was an MOA shooter for better than 30 years, and once I wrapped my brain around it and bought a MIL scope for my latest build, I'll probably never go back.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.