Thread: Sourcing a short action for a build - donor or custom?

RolHammer

Sourcing a short action for a build - donor or custom?

The thread title is, I guess what I'm trying to ask - for those of you who did builds, did you start with a donor action in the desired bolt or are there custom options out there?

To back up a little though, lemme start by saying I'm a newby. Bought my first rifle (Model 16 in .223) a year ago and really enjoy it. I've been looking at buying another short action rifle and became intrigued with the 6.5 mm caliber, particularly 6.5x47 Lapua and .260 Rem. 6.5 mm Creedmore could be in the running too, if Lapua brass starts to flow in sufficient quantities as to be readily available in Canada.

Around the time I started to be drawn in to the 6.5 mm discussion, chassis systems started to catch my eye - the MDT LSS-XL in particular, which comes in Savage-specific versions. I quickly realized that bare Savage actions aren't something you can just walk up and buy off the shelf, so began to consider the 'donor action' approach - find a used short action rifle, sell off the unwanted parts (if possible) and start building off the action. I started coming across threads (not necessarily about Savage actions specifically) that discussed this & pointed out that the donor rifle approach followed by the costs of truing puts you into the price range of custom actions. This got me to wondering if there's even such a thing as a custom Savage short action? Does this exist?

The Savage PTA's(single load), the LRP and BA actions(repeaters) are close. One of those an a Time and True job from SSS with Fred Comp trigger would make you happy. By then you are bordering on a Shilen action( http://www.shilen.com/index.html ). The ARC action( http://www.americanrifle.com/ ) fits the Savage prefits as well. What is your budget. My son has built two Savage Rifles Using stainless 16 and 12 actions one with a XLR chassis and one in a H-S Precision. Both are 6.5 Creedmoor's. After it is all said and done, the minimum is about $1800. It can be more. For about $400 + or - it can be a different cartridge.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    You can buy a Savage Precision Target Action in several varieties. Look here for examples. You may be able to buy a standard action from Savage also. May need to have it shipped to a gunsmith or something, I don't know. The reason people buy a donor is that may be the cheapest way to go if you get a good deal. Obviously you're not looking for the most expensive Savage rifle if you just want the action. Cabelas has the 12FV on sale right now, you get the lighter varmint accutrigger in that rifle.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/

Banned
    Savage has Bare Actions Only, in two varieties (these days)

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/actions/target/

Short action with single port and dual port

Team Savage
    sounds to me a savage stealth in 6.5 creedmoor would be the easiest and cheapest option to start with. it has a modified version of the mdt (nicer in my opinion) chassis and you'll get started with a 6.5. you could either sell the barrel as a new take off or shoot the hell out of it and decide if the creedmoor is for you. I would recommend you stay away from the .260 in a short action as you'll be limiting yourself with all these long high bc bullets hitting the market. the lapua or creedmoor are the kings of the short action mag fed cartridges (well until you start talking about the 6mm's)

Banned
    If going with a donor, the Cabella 10T would be a great start.

Comes in 6.5, stock is decent, good barrel (5R rifling) it has the acu-trigger. Downside is the smooth nut and bottom bolt release (to me)

Stock can always be changed of course.

I would be temped to see what Savage would charge to put a BTH/11 with a Varmint or Bull 6.5 (if they have it)

260 is common, 6.5 Norma though the Savage Range.

The pure target guns would be a good start but caliber choices is limited so a new barrel and better off with a donor