Thread: Will a stevens stock handle a heavy sporter barrel

Basic Member

Will a stevens stock handle a heavy sporter barrel

Hi GUys

Just wanting to know if a stevens stock will handle a heavy sporter barrel or is the channel not wide enough?

Thanks
    Ryan

flatshooter

Re: Will a stevens stock handle a heavy sporter barrel

Order it from Savage with a heavy barrel channel. ::)

There isn't enough room as is.....a little time and some elbow grease and it'll work just fine. I've sanded a couple sporter stocks to fit a heavy sporter contour. Sand paper works but it's slow. The dremel works great but ya gotta go slow and test fit often so you don't remove too much.

That's a #4 Shilen contour in a synthetic sporter. I've also got a couple others that I can snap pics of later if you'd like. One's a #3 Shilen and the other is a straight taper to about .655" at the muzzle.

Basic Member

trappst,
    In your opinion, could a contour similar to the Savage Predator (1" shank, 0.725" muzzle ... I think) be fitted to the sporter stock? I'm looking at rebarrelling a Stevens 200 using a H/B stainless barrel I have. Will have it recontoured but I'm not sure how thin I have to go. Its currently a #7 straight taper, was hoping to fit something along the Predator's contour but shorter at 20". I suppose though that even as a #3 there's plenty of meat around a 6mm hole ... I'm just hoping I can go closer to a #4-#5.
    Cheers...
    Con

flatshooter

I inletted a 1.067 at the shank and .800 at the muzzle with a wooden dowell 56 grit sand paper with two small dresser drawer knobs... worked like a charm.

Con,

Yes, I think you'll be just fine. Depending on what length you really want and what you want the muzzle diameter to be will determine what contour though.

To give you some ideas: My barrel that's a straight taper to .655" at the muzzle (23" long) is .862" at the end of the stock. Cut at 20", that same barrel would be .705" at the muzzle.

The barrel in the pic (#4 shilen contour at 26") is .818" at the end of the stock. Cut at 20" it would be .735"

A #4 or #5 contour would be just about right for what you're thinking.

Here are a couple pics of the 23" straight taper to .655". That is a standard Savage plastic sporter stock off a model 16.