About a month ago, Cabelas had their 93R17's in the Boyd's laminated Lady Hunter stock on clearance for $219 and I couldn't lay off. I've been wanting a .17 for the range for some time now, not just for me but for my wife and daughter to shoot as well. I love the rifle (and the girls love the stock) but darned if I can't get that thing to group!

I've tried no fewer than 5 different kinds of ammo, both 17 and 20 grain, and the best I can do is about 2" groups at 100 yards. Some of the stuff is lucky to print 3" groups, and there doesn't seem to be much consistency. I will get 3 or 4 shots nearly touching, then the next shot will be 2" away from that group. Then another 2 or 3 nearly touching, then another flier.

I'm going to put a different scope and rings on it today, and see if that makes a difference, but the scope that's on it is a very good Weaver 6x and the rings are steel Warnes.

I've tried tightening the action screws (they were very loose from the factory) and it helped, but not that much. I'm only shooting 20 grain CCI's in it now, as they are the "best" shooting of anything I've tried so far.

Suffice it to say I'm disappointed with this rifle. I was really hoping to get a 100 and 200-yard plinker for the range, and I know what other people's .17HMR's can do...