Thread: Will Boyd's Stock Fit Axis 2?

Bagnarsi21

Will Boyd's Stock Fit Axis 2?

Hey guys and gals,

New member and Savage owner here! Last week I bought a 64 and an Axis 2. I would like to get a boyds stock for the Axis but after reading post on here about poor fit with the 2 I'm a little weary about getting one. So my question is have you had a good or bad experience with your Boyd's stock for your Axis 2?

Basic Member
    Boyds stocks fit Axis II as well as Axis. The Axis and Axis II are identical except for the Accutrigger.
    I am a big fan of Axis stocks, I have installed maybe 50+ Boyds stocks onto Axis rifles, some are drop in fit, some are not. They are inexpensive for a reason. If you get one and it is not a drop-in fit, and you aren't comfortable working on it yourself, a decent gunsmith should be able to help you out for a little bit of pocket change, give or take $20-50.

Bagnarsi21
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Boyds stocks fit Axis II as well as Axis. The Axis and Axis II are identical except for the Accutrigger.
    I am a big fan of Axis stocks, I have installed maybe 50+ Boyds stocks onto Axis rifles, some are drop in fit, some are not. They are inexpensive for a reason. If you get one and it is not a drop-in fit, and you aren't comfortable working on it yourself, a decent gunsmith should be able to help you out for a little bit of pocket change, give or take $20-50.
    Thanks for the feedback. Should I order long or short action? I know 308 win is short but I read the Axis action is inbetween long and short. Is this true?

Basic Member
    Yes and no.

Simplest answer, order short action stock.

Longer answer... factory Axis rifles chambered for .308 IS a short action rifle, so it needs a short action mag and stock... It's basic ACTION is the same as the long action model, but they used different stocks and mags. I am confusing myself here!

Bagnarsi21
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Yes and no.

Simplest answer, order short action stock.

Longer answer... factory Axis rifles chambered for .308 IS a short action rifle, so it needs a short action mag and stock... It's basic ACTION is the same as the long action model, but they used different stocks and mags. I am confusing myself here!

Haha....I appreciate the feedback Foxx. Thanks for the help!

All Axis rifles are technically long actions, but what defines it as a long or short action is the cartridge it's chambered for, or more specifically, the magazine it uses. On the factory stock Savage simply swaps out the plastic trigger guard piece and magazine depending on whether it's a long action or short action gun. When ordering an aftermarket stock you're getting a more dedicated stock, so they need to know specifically long or short as there's no swap-able piece to make it either.

So if you have a short-action cartridge (as you do), you order a short-action stock. If you have a long-action cartridge (270, 30-06, etc) then you would order a long-action stock.

The other neat trick is that if you have a short-action cartridge but are shooting long, heavy bullets and don't want to have to seat them deep into the case to fit a short-action magazine, you can order a long-action stock and use a similarly sized long-action magazine (i.e. for your .308 you could use a .30-06 magazine) and seat your bullets out longer to allow for more powder in the case. This also works well if you have an intermittent length cartridge such as a .257 Roberts or .284 Winchester.