Thread: Glass Bedding an Axis into Boyds Prairie Hunter?

Glass Bedding an Axis into Boyds Prairie Hunter?

Good day,

So, I just went to the range this last weekend to get my PD gun ready for action next weekend... About 6 Months ago my axis got a new stock on it and has now "compressed" around the action screws... It was shooting great for 10-15 rounds (all one big ragged hole) and then all of the sudden my POI shifted about 1-2" right.... Still grouping though... I've never had that problem with it since putting the CBI barrel on it.

So, I took it apart to see what was going on, and found that there is nothing to keep the action from moving laterally (except the rear action screw).

The question is: Has anyone else bedded the savage action (Glass not Pillar)? and if so, what did you bed? I'm stumped in regards to how to bed around the funky recoil lug... Or is Pillar bedding my only option here?

Thanks,

I bedded my Axis II into a Boyd's Thumbhole. I bedded from the lug back to (and including) the back support screw. A few weeks later, I also did a pillar bedding. If you will watch the two YouTubes below, they are just about exactly what I did. Worked fine and I'm pleased with the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4PV...ttoqb&index=15 shows the bedding job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3g...ttoqb&index=14 shows the pillar installation.

Reason I later did the pillar bed was that the plastic fitting in the stock for the front action screw disintegrated and then the trigger guard action screw had the same problem. I replaced the trigger guard with a metal one and installed the pillars to resolve those problems.

Thanks DocScott,

I thought I had finally asked a question here that no one could answer, so I went "you tubing" and found those exact videos today.

Thanks for the reply,