Thread: shilen vs CBI HELP

Basic Member

shilen vs CBI HELP

WHAT would you get CBI OR SHILEN BULL in 6 creedmoor or 6.5 creedmoor
    For 500 800 1000 yards

Who has better QC
    THANKS

Basic Member
    I purchased a Shilen "Match" barrel in 338-06. I have shot it out to 600yards (once) and it shot sub MOA (4.5"). Not the best but for the slow 225 grain bullet that I shoot, not bad either. Not sure if this is any help at all, but this is the direction I went when faced with the same question.

I don't have any experience with the Shilen, But I have 2 Criterions already and another on the way. They are great barrels and have had such good luck with them, that I haven't had to try a different maker. Honestly, I think you'll be happy with either one.

6.5 Creed is my vote.

Basic Member
    I have both barrels both are easy to clean and are shooters can't go wrong with ether one.

Basic Member
    I have a couple of Shilens -- borescope shows a lapped bore free of obvious defects. I did have to call Shilen customer service when trying to dope out a fit issue with my receiver. They were responsive, helpful and courteous -- and the problem ultimately had nothing to do with their barrel. Can't do a comparison, though. I have been happy with what I have. I recently purchased a McGowan chambered in .222, and I have a used Douglas in 6.5x55, which I have not had a chance to shoot yet. These are made by humans, subject to human error, and will be part of mechanical devices subject to pretty intense forces. Add human error on a shooter/reloader's part and it is tough to guarantee anything beyond a certain level of attention to detail at the factory. Based on what I have seen written about both brands here, I wouldn't hesitate to try a barrel from either manufacturer.

Basic Member
    Thanks for you're reply everyone.

Basic Member
    Now if (HOG DON) < ha ha....get some H- 4350 out the door. I would fill better and order a shilen

Basic Member
    Can't help with those calibers but I have one of each in .308, both are very well finished and installed easily using a NSS lug and barrel nut. I really can't tell any difference in accuracy between the two using the same loads. I would call Northland SS to see what he has in stock and go with whatever he has that fits the length and twist you want.

Basic Member
    CBI

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    CBI
    Y cbi ? I think there equal.

Quote Originally Posted by homefrontsniper View Post
    Y cbi ? I think there equal.

Probably for the same reason I say CBI.... It's because we've used them.... or are using them.... I am a CBI fan, not that Shilen isn't equal or comparable, but it's what we've used.... I love mine and just ordered a 3rd.

Jim Briggs from NSS (retired) was who I talked to about Shilen or CBI when I ordered my first. "He said that he would be happy with either one" I just chose the Criterion because, (at that time) they were connected to Krieger barrels. That was a name I recognized as "Quality".

Cheers,

Basic Member
    I have a CBI in 260, and a Douglas in 308. Both cost roughly the same, and will shoot about the same. You can't go wrong with either one of them.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Same boat as sage rat... I have a CBI that shoots.. IVe never owned a shilen.

Banned
    You got two replies of people who have both and that is the rubber meets the road.

Both agreed they were equal. Flip option then whichever is lower cost and or can get soonest in my opinion.

What I can say is the assessment of smoothness is very relevant.

I have an XC and a Shilen, both in 30 caliber but not the same cartridge

That said, the Shilen is smoother inside (boroscope) and it cleans up easier.

The XC shoots as good as the Shilen, its not as smooth inside and it clean up about 50% more cleaning activity.

As I am not fond of cleaning barrels, Given the choice again and what response you have, I would go with Shilen or the CBI on an equal basis.

Basic Member
    I have both also. A 22" Shilen in an AR platform 6.5 grendel and a 24" CBI in 6.5x55 in a Savage. Both will easily shoot sub-moa and on the occassion one hole groups at 100 yards. Can't go wrong with either.

Basic Member
    I've owned just about all of them and it's not always the barrel maker. Purchased a used pacnor on this site few years ago cheap, the guy said it shot 3/4" so I'm guessing that's why I got it cheap. Never shot it, sent it to Devin Sinner and had it punched to ai, the barrel shot consistently in the .1's. Has a lot to do with who is Chambering the barrel

Basic Member
    Thanks again everybody.

Banned
    You are welcome.

Per below, your really can't say that. The guy may to have been able to shoot it.

Chambering can be done wrong but its the easier part of the mix. The barrel has to be right or the best chamber in the world is worthless.

I've owned just about all of them and it's not always the barrel maker. Purchased a used pacnor on this site few years ago cheap, the guy said it shot 3/4" so I'm guessing that's why I got it cheap. Never shot it, sent it to Devin Sinner and had it punched to ai, the barrel shot consistently in the .1's. Has a lot to do with who is Chambering the barrel

Barrels are.funny things. Probably more.difference between different barrels than the two manufacturers

Look at one of those true half inch grouping stock savage barrels through a borescope. You wouldn't expect it to shoot for. $&! $. Then look at the shilen and a kraiger and a bartlein. Buying those premium barrels does improve the odds .

Ask a gunsmith that builds the real deal competition benchrest guns how many blanks he goes through before he selects The One. And these guys are buying the best blanks from the best manufactures and the still cull through them.

Getting a real hummer.barrel is.the.luck of.the.draw

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    It's because we've used them.... or are using them.... I am a CBI fan, not that Shilen isn't equal or comparable, but it's what we've used....
    Sorry for hijacking but I have seen this in Sagerat's post before, who is we? Is there a small sagerat in your pocket. He he. Seriously Is there a group of you that are close or maybe a team? Just curious.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    You are welcome.

Per below, your really can't say that. The guy may to have been able to shoot it.

Chambering can be done wrong but its the easier part of the mix. The barrel has to be right or the best chamber in the world is worthless.
    I agree that chambering can be wrong. Every time it is, there are less that desirable consequences. Since most barrels go through some sort of QC it is rare to see a "dog" make it through to the customer so in the end the final work is definitely a determining factor. The examples of crap rifled barrels from Savage and Shaw shooting tiny groups is a prime example. Back when Jim first got Apache started he rechambered a poor shooting 6.5 CM LRP barrel to 260. Shot consistent <1 moa at 1000.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thank you

Basic Member
    Just so you know, CBI is now offering a 1.25" contour barrel and special barrel nut for large shank actions for those that want that HEAVY barrel... Its a pretty slick idea since the only way to run that large of a contour before was to have the barrel shouldered against the action/recoil lug. Among the chambers being offered in this barrel is a straight 284 with a .220 freebore for those 180 Hybrids or 183 SMKs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    Just so you know, CBI is now offering a 1.25" contour barrel and special barrel nut for large shank actions for those that want that HEAVY barrel... Its a pretty slick idea since the only way to run that large of a contour before was to have the barrel shouldered against the action/recoil lug. Among the chambers being offered in this barrel is a straight 284 with a .220 freebore for those 180 Hybrids or 183 SMKs.
    Thanks for the heads up Cowtownup about the newest profiles available from CBI. I was not aware of those and I'm interested.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I'm building a straight 284 now and I've invested money in a reamer and a barrel and will have to have a gunsmith chamber and shoulder it as compared to this setup. I don't regret it since I've been wanting to try a cut rifle barrel, but this is a great option for those wanting to shoot F-Open or target shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast