Thread: Savage 12fv Build Help Please

Blackhawk41

Savage 12fv Build Help Please

Hello, new to the forum. I just picked up a savage 12fv from cabelas. It's a 308, centerfeed, blind mag, top bolt release and the screw spacing is 4.4. It's got just a non accustock blind mag stock. I would like to have a detachable mag if possible and I would like to use the factory mags if possible and stay away from aics, for budget reasons. I was wondering. Could I buy an accustock with bottom metal even if it is a bottom bolt release? Would it be compadable with my top bolt release? Also, what is there a difference between the actions themselves across the models like the 10,11,12,ect? Alternatively I could also buy an aftermarket Boyd's or choate stock and add the bottom metal. Where can I buy just the bottom metal that will be compadable with my top bolt release? I know I'm vommiting questions sorry .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Yes, you can buy an Accustock for top bolt release models, I don't think you want one for bottom bolt release. Might be able to modify it, but I suggest just going for a top bolt release Accustock. They are not easy to locate, but a good place to start would to become a paid member and post a wtb ad here in the classifieds. I have a pretty good idea who would come up with a new take-off for you.

The actions for Model 10, 11. 12. 14 are essentially all the same. Check out the FAQ section for diferences in their design over the years. THere are center feed and stagger feed, for example. Not a big difference when it comes to performance, but when buying stocks, you need to know what you have so it fits properly.

The bottom metal needed is also avail from Savage Customer service or you could place WTB ad here in the classifieds.

Blackhawk41
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Yes, you can buy an Accustock for top bolt release models, I don't think you want one for bottom bolt release. Might be able to modify it, but I suggest just going for a top bolt release Accustock. They are not easy to locate, but a good place to start would to become a paid member and post a wtb ad here in the classifieds. I have a pretty good idea who would come up with a new take-off for you.

The actions for Model 10, 11. 12. 14 are essentially all the same. Check out the FAQ section for diferences in their design over the years. THere are center feed and stagger feed, for example. Not a big difference when it comes to performance, but when buying stocks, you need to know what you have so it fits properly.

The bottom metal needed is also avail from Savage Customer service or you could place WTB ad here in the classifieds.

Blackhawk41
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk41 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your input.

Blackhawk,

The Accustock is overrated in my opinion, I had one on an Axis 22-250. I swapped it for a Boyds Prairie Hunter and it is twice as good as the accustock. For the Savage 12FV look at StockyStocks website, They have a Bobby Hart LRT stock that fits the 12FV perfectly. (my Brother did his this way). It is a blind mag still, but you can use all of the bottom metal components from the Synthetic stock and swap it onto the Bobby Hart. You may have to do a little fitting for the trigger guard, but that was about it.

Just another option to the Boyds, but both work well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Blackhawk,

The Accustock is overrated in my opinion, I had one on an Axis 22-250. I swapped it for a Boyds Prairie Hunter and it is twice as good as the accustock. For the Savage 12FV look at StockyStocks website, They have a Bobby Hart LRT stock that fits the 12FV perfectly. (my Brother did his this way). It is a blind mag still, but you can use all of the bottom metal components from the Synthetic stock and swap it onto the Bobby Hart. You may have to do a little fitting for the trigger guard, but that was about it.

Just another option to the Boyds, but both work well.
    You put an Axis action into an Accustock? No wonder you think they are over rated! :)

I didn't put it in the accustock... It came with an accustock.... I put it in the Laminate.

Blackhawk41
    I didn't put it in the accustock... It came with an accustock.... the laminate is better.
    Can I buy a box mag version laminate and and just switch out the bottom metal with the factory dbm metal to convert it?

I would think so.... Savage makes different bottom metals depending on synthetic or Laminate wood stocks... As I had to order new bottom metal for my Boyds Pro varmint... I would think they make one for the Bobby Hart too, as the synthetic bottom metal van be swapped to the laminate.

Best bet is to take your serial number and call savage direct. Tell them what you're wanting to do. They will be able to tell you if it will be compatible.

I don't know if the Bobby Hart has the DBM option now that I think about it, but check with stocky stocks too see if that is an option before you decide. I'm just very fond of the design of those stocks as well as the Pro Varmint from Boyds.....

Blackhawk41
    I don't know if the Bobby Hart has the DBM option now that I think about it, but check with stocky stocks too see if that is an option before you decide. I'm just very fond of the design of those stocks as well as the Pro Varmint from Boyds.....
    Thanks for the input

I just checked... The Bobby Hart is blind mag option only.... MY bad!

They have other options however, so still take a look... you may find a design you like more.

Blackhawk41
    I just checked... The Bobby Hart is blind mag option only.... MY bad!

They have other options however, so still take a look... you may find a design you like more.
    I'll be sure to check them out, but I'm very interested in the Boyd's thumb holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk41 View Post
    I'll be sure to check them out, but I'm very interested in the Boyd's thumb holes.
    The TH stocks you should have no problem converting.... that's just a bottom metal swap, and ordering a DBM compatible stock.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...pe=06&Finish=1

piece of cake,

Basic Member
    I didn't put it in the accustock... It came with an accustock.... I put it in the Laminate.
    Ummm... THere must be some kind of misunderstanding here. THere is no such thing as an Accustock for the Axis.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Ummm... THere must be some kind of misunderstanding here. THere is no such thing as an Accustock for the Axis.
    Well, there was about 3-4 years ago.... When I took it off, it had the aluminum support bar in it, that ran clear up the barrel channel. If that's not an accustock, then maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there isn't an aluminum bar on the other non accustock synthetics....

wally247
    I'm not much help on the stock, but don't be scared of AICS. Since Magpul started making mags for it they can be had for around $30.

Basic Member
    I put a 12FV into one of these: http://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhol...k_p_14233.html

Was a drop in fit, but I bedded it with Devcon 10110 anyway. Shoots tiny groups in my sons hands.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.