Thread: Build or buy, 6.5 creedmore.

1sgclarke

Build or buy, 6.5 creedmore.

Hello all,
    Im'm thinking I might want a 6.5 creedmore. I rely like the 12 LRP. But, I have a 12LRPV in 22-250, 1in 9 twist that I could re-barrel with a new Shielen or Criterion barrel. My question is Which would b the best rifle. BTW, I like the stock on the LRP better, but which action is better. Thanks.

LRPV: Right bolt, left eject, single shot, large shank, target action with a traditional style H-S stock (PSV-106 or 121 I cant remember.)
    LRP: Right bolt, right eject, repeater, large shank, target action with a tactical style H-S stock (PST-114)

I think.

Edit:
    I forgot to mention that I like the LRP better.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Mountain Man
    Do you reload?

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

1sgclarke
    Yes I reload.

Mountain Man
    Not to side track the current discussion, but you may want to consider a 260R

1sgclarke
    Yes, but whichever caliber, whic option I stated would be best?

Mountain Man
    I built my 260R off a xcaliber barrel bought off of rosco on this sites classifieds. Bought a .243 model 10 from a local pawn shop for 225 then put it in a used choate stock (found on this sites classifieds again) with a cabelas "covenant tactical" 6-24 scope on a egw 20 MOA rail. I bet I have less than 850 in the whole setup and it has shot half MOA or better. Couldn't be happier with it. I'd recommend a build even if just for the gratification factor. These things aren't complicated and the tools required are fairly cheap.

Basic Member
    Well you sure did side track his entire question.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgclarke View Post
    Hello all,
    Im'm thinking I might want a 6.5 creedmore. I rely like the 12 LRP. But, I have a 12LRPV in 22-250, 1in 9 twist that I could re-barrel with a new Shielen or Criterion barrel. My question is Which would b the best rifle. BTW, I like the stock on the LRP better, but which action is better. Thanks.
    You will really like the Savage LRP 6.5 if you decide that route. And with hand loads it will get even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondogg View Post
    Well you sure did side track his entire question.
    Yeah "not to sidetrack" derailed the thread.

Build or buy?

The only reason i mess with savages is that they are so easy to build and change up. The land of the barrel nut. Of course it seems everyone is joining the barrel nut society these days.

Team Savage
    I would buy,it's cheaper...

Basic Member
    I'm new to the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut and I would build. But back to the OP question which action is best. This is an area about Savage that is real fussy to me. I understand long and short actions but you got 10/110s, 11/111s and 12/112s what are the differences, what's top of the line, what are the nuances?

Basic Member
    The stock is what you hold onto, so if you like the LRP better, then buy it, if the LRP action is what you want. THEN you have two guns!

Quote Originally Posted by 65Whelen View Post
    I'm new to the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut and I would build. But back to the OP question which action is best. This is an area about Savage that is real fussy to me. I understand long and short actions but you got 10/110s, 11/111s and 12/112s what are the differences, what's top of the line, what are the nuances?
    There is a FAQ that covers a lot of this but for the most part, 2 digits ie...10, 11, 12, 14 and 16 are short actions. Long actions being 3 digits 110, 111, 112, 114, 116. You have the older models and are mostly flat back and are stagger feed. The mag box is attached to the action. The newer actions are center feed and the mags box is not attached to the action Then you have some model 12's that came with target actions, They have no mag boxes. More recently you have a repeater target action with the LRP and the BA. The Ba even came in a long action and a 338 Lapua action. Long actions both feed types have the same action screw Centerline distance ( but the inlet is different) and short actions between the two feed types is different. The bolt release has been on the top for a long time but recently Savage has been trying to make their rifles more sexy so they have gone to a smooth nut and a bottom bolt release. There is more but I am tired. Good night.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I'd buy, shoot the barrel out, rebuild.