Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to give up on rifle?

Basic Member

Well, I would not sell it. I would throw away the barrel and keep the action and trigger. So, if I were to sell it, I would say accuracy sucked. If the price was right, and it was offered for sale, I would buy it with the intention of replacing the barrel. In my opinion, anything short of that is flat-out dishonest and essentially theft. Full disclosure is called for.

I can't believe you're even asking this. If you were the buyer would you want the seller to be up front and honest?

I would stay the course and swap the barrel, however if you're determined to wash your hands of it I would sell it as a barreled action with an accuracy problem, presumably the barrel.

It's only "buyer beware" with honest disclosure!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5savageguy View Post
    I can't believe you're even asking this. If you were the buyer would you want the seller to be up front and honest?

I would stay the course and swap the barrel, however if you're determined to wash your hands of it I would sell it as a barreled action with an accuracy problem, presumably the barrel.

It's only "buyer beware" with honest disclosure!
    Well I ask because I often see people post about unloading a poor shooter. I know it's always full disclosure for me when I sell anything. Given what I have read on various forums, I suspect all too often duds are being unloaded without full disclosure.

Basic Member
    ^^^^I assumed that was what you were thinking. I see that too often, too. My belief is, maybe, the seller has higher expectations then the general public. On the other hand, I also know of times I have had guns people said would not shoot and I get them shooting just fine. Depends on the circumstances. If I ever had one I knew would not shoot, I would definately say so, as I am sure you would.

Quote Originally Posted by dranrab View Post
    What's the best way to handle selling a rifle that doesn't perform well? I mean from a moral/ethical standpoint. Do you treat it as a buyer beware thing? If they ask why you are selling it, do you sugar coat the truth or do you tell them that accuracy sucks?
    Tell the truth. You don't want to be That Guy.

My experience: My father handed down a Frankenstein Remington 1100 to me that wouldn't function consistently. I tried/fixed everything, including opening up the gas ports. Like you, I finally got fed up with it and sold it.

I posted it on GunBroker, with a link to the long thread on ShotgunWorld where I discussed how to fix it (or not), and it sold for double what my father had bought it for...

Nevermind Foxx: Dump this thing and move on. You'll be happier when it's gone.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Tell the truth. You don't want to be That Guy.

My experience: My father handed down a Frankenstein Remington 1100 to me that wouldn't function consistently. I tried/fixed everything, including opening up the gas ports. Like you, I finally got fed up with it and sold it.

I posted it on GunBroker, with a link to the long thread on ShotgunWorld where I discussed how to fix it (or not), and it sold for double what my father had bought it for...

Nevermind Foxx: Dump this thing and move on. You'll be happier when it's gone.
    I agree. I never said "DON"T SELL IT". I said I would not sell it. I am different. I am the guy that would buy it. I said it would be tough to sell right now for a decent price because there are real low prices on new Savages out there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmauch View Post
    I am out of ideas and patience. I have a savage Model 11 .308 ( hog hunter). I have had the gun from about 3 years. If you not familiar the rifle has a 20” medium weight threaded barrel with 1-10 twist. It comes with savage’s plastic stock and has iron sights. The stock has been replaced and the iron sights removed. It has a Vortex Viper 4x12x40 for glass. Yesterday I reached my tipping point with it. I can’t for the life of life of me get it to shoot. At 105 yards it groups at 1.5-2.25 inches at 208 yards it jumps to the 6-8 inch groups, neither of which I feel is adequate. I have only gone out to 300 yards once with and it produced 12-15 inch group. I haven’t gone further out with due to the lack of accuracy. I have tired the following. The original bases and rings (Warne) have been removed and remounted x3 every time installed and torqued to spec. I have tried the following scopes Viper 4x12, Diamondback4x12, Leupold VXll 3x9, and a Primary arms1x6. I switched to a DNZ one piece mount and tried 3 out of 4 of the previous listed scopes.
    As for ammo, It dislikes all 150 gr I have used. Which includes Remington cor-lockt, Hornady interlock, and Federal PSP. Moving up to the 165-168 gr. I have tired Hornady A-max and BTHP match, Federal Gold medal match, and BTHP match from Armscor. And finally 180gr hunting loads from Remington, Hornady, Federal, and Winchester. The heavier rounds group better but still not what I would consider good.
    The stock has been replaced with one from Stockade gunstocks and torqued to their specs , trigger is set at 2.5 pounds. The barrel is free floated and Stockade doesn’t recommend bedding the action when using their stocks

My other .308 is a Remington 700 ADL 22inch barrel with the factory wood stock with a Vortex diamondback 4x12x40. The gun was bought new in 83/84 by my father. He is gone and it became mine. It is as factory as you can get. Even with the factory trigger set at around 6 pounds I can still shoot better with it by a considerable amount. Remington 150gr Cor-lockt produces three shot groups of at or below 1 inch at 100 yards, 2.5 at 200yds, 3.5-4.0 at 300yds, and 5.0-5.25 at 400yds. I am sure those could be improved if the trigger would be tuned or replaced, but I figure why mess with it. I know those numbers might not be that impressive to some but I am pleased with them especially using the Remington round. So I don’t think it’s me or maybe the Remington is that good.

Am I missing something obvious? I have been trying to think of something else to use, do, or try but I also starting to think I am might just have a money pit. At this point I want to sell\trade it away and move on. My Savage is like a bad girlfriend, I keep trying to make it work and she just keeps being a Bi*ch. Sorry for the long post.
    I've tried a lot of Savage barrels, and almost all will shoot < 1.5" 5 shot 100 yard groups with handloads right out of the reloading book. After checking the obvious things, loose screws and bad scope etc, if a gun/barrel won't shoot < 1.5; I'd switch barrels. I've sold a lot of 22" sporter barrels here that WOULD shoot < 1.5".
    joe b.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmauch View Post
    Thanks for the responses. The Stockade stock is going to a new home here soon. I plan on keeping the scope and DNZ rings. The barrel and action should be on their way out shortly.
    Did you find a new home for your action? I'd be interested in buying the action from you. Contact me via PM if interested.

Basic Member
    My 10T shot like a POS in the Tupperware stock. I bedded it into a Boyd's tacticool.... still didn't get that great of reliable groups. Finally I cracked that Boyds when trying to play with the action screw tension to determine if that was a contributing factor. That was also the first DIY bedding job I've done and I've since sworn to never do one again so I bought an HS Precision stock with the aluminum bedding block and now she touches five holes reliably. Savages seem to be finicky about the stocks they're in.

This was a long and frustrating process especially since I did a whole new load ladder every time I changed something except for the few times I bought a box of Hornady match here and there.

Basic Member
    Also, someone above mentioned getting a take-off barrel. I once had a 270 that needed the barrel replaced and I wanted to swap to a 30-06 for hunting elk. I called Jim at Northland Shooter's and he hooked me up with a 30-06 take-off barrel for very cheap. This was the standard plain jane pencil profile hunting barrel but he might have some heavy take-off barrels. It's worth giving him a call. You could upgrade the lug and barrel nut while you're at it. Don't forget the go/no-go gauges. I got by just threading the barrel down onto the go-gauge to save having to buy both, but there's probably a better way of doing this for a precision gun that you want to load long bullets seated out a ways.

It looks like the stock and the barrelled action have been sold according to the OP.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Poolguy
    Had a Winchester coyote in 270 wsm same deal no matter what I tried I could not get it to shoot. Lapped the scope. bedded the action you name it I tried finally traded it for an ar10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12