Thread: rebarreling

Basic Member

rebarreling

I have read on many gun sites of guys buying a new rifle and then putting a new barrel on it. same caliber new barrel??? Why not shoot it and see what you got. Some guy bought a cz 22 and looking to do same thing. thanks

Some people buy a new car and put aftermarket rims and tires on, 99.98% don't use them such that an increase in grip is a factor. Everyone has their own version of "bling".
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I am a lefty. When I purchased my rifle back in the 80's, Savage, Remington and Weatherby were the only ones making left handed bolt guns. It was rare to come across a left handed rifle so you grabbed whatever you saw. I think you buy a Savage primarily for the action. After that you can customize it to what you want.

Simple answer is that there are a lot of folks out there with more money than brains who think they know something because they read it on the internet. I always get a kick out of people who come on here and post something to the effect of:

"I just bought this new Savage Model XX, what do I need to change or upgrade to make it more accurate?"
    A dozen or more people will always chime in blindly telling the person they have to do this or that, then someone with some actual gray matter between their ears finally comes along and asks the O/P how it currently shoots only to find out they haven't even shot it yet.

How in the heck can you know what's wrong or what needs changed if you don't even know what you have or what you're starting with?

Basic Member
    There are several reasons to swap barrels on a new rifle, some good, some bad and sometimes it's just a push. Aftermarket barrels are often more acurate and easier to clean, and there are times that the additional accuracy is needed. Now there are limits and a persons reasons may not make any sense to you or me, if it's what they want then go ahead.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savage2 View Post
    I have read on many gun sites of guys buying a new rifle and then putting a new barrel on it. same caliber new barrel??? Why not shoot it and see what you got. Some guy bought a cz 22 and looking to do same thing. thanks
    One very good reason to do that is if you happen to find a good deal on a gun of the proper caliber but the twist is too slow. If you want to shoot targets at 600 yards using long, heavy bullets, you'll generally want a faster twist barrel. While those shooting varmints with light bullets will most likely want a slower twist barrel. If you swap barrels before you shoot the factory barrel, you are more likely to get a better price when you sell it.

WeldNFool
    I had my new Shilan barrel before I had the rifle, same caliber as the factory barrel. That being said I wanted the rifle for the action and common sense told me that spending $500 on an action alone versus $700 for a complete rifle and I'd be an idiot for buying just the action. I shot the factory barrel, abused it, burned ammo for brass then dumped the factory barrel in the safe.

I wanted a custom built job from the start. Didn't really care how accurate the factory rig was or what could be wrong or not wrong with it. When I shot at the range I didn't really pay attention to groups, sizes and the targets went in the trash at the end of the day. Only reason I have the factory stock on it is because I'm waiting on my new one. Is there anything wrong with the factory stock? Nope, but anybody can have a factory stock. I went as far as having the stock maker leave the butt as a solid block of wood and just finish all of the critical areas. I'll work on the butt myself and make it how I want it.

Is there something wrong with a person throwing a new barrel on a rifle straight away? I don't think so. We all have our reasons, more money than sense, not here. Barrels are cheap when you compare the price of a rebarrel on a Barrett, I'll buy Shilan's all day long.

Later this year if work is good to me and I get my project done I'll order another rifle, 300WM? Lapua? Then I'll order a new barrel and stock for it and start another project. I like spicing them up, color, graphics, shine. No, I'm not doing it to get attention at the range. I do it cause I like to look at them and it's fun and I prefer not to talk to anyone at the range anyhow, it's the whole introvert thing I guess.