Thread: Savage 116 Stock for Bipod

wannakillabigbull

Savage 116 Stock for Bipod

New to the forum. Just picked up a mew 116 Trophy Hunter XP for $500 and am super excited, but apparently I missed the memo that the factory stock forend has no stiffness and apparently won't shoot well with a bipod. I put my bipod on and the stock is definitely going to touch the barrel. This rifle will mainly be used for hunting out west and I need it to shoot well with a bipod on uneven ground. Does anyone recommend a good stock that would meet my needs? Looking to stay relatively light and not pay over $300.
    Last edited by wannakillabigbull; 02-17-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Altered Price

Basic Member
    Did you try the Boyd's website?

wannakillabigbull
    Yes I have, but I'm hesitant to buy a wood stock as I hunt in the rain quite a bit. They're also not bedded at the cheaper price point. I'm altering my price point though, let's say under $300. I'm familiar with Hogues and B&Cs. The Hogues are going for $230ish for aluminum bedded ones, does anyone have experience with those? They also don't list the weight on any website I can find......and I can't find any info on how stiff they are on the forend. Then the B&Cs look nice and are at $270. They're about 2 and a quarter pounds which isn't super light but there's always compromises. I also hear their surfaces aren't the most durable and I'm constantly fighting through oak brush when elk hunting. But maybe I could clear coat one if I got it? Mainly I'm looking for a durable, lightish weight stock that is stiff enough to shoot confidently with a bipod at mule deer and elk. Any other suggestions?

wannakillabigbull
    I'm also open to altering the factory synthetic stock, but I've read around this forum and most people seem not to have a whole lot of luck with it

Call Kevin Rayhill and try to get one of his unpainted Woodchuck or Prairie Dog Specials. The moneysaver is more work than you may want to deal with to get it right. http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/3.html
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

wannakillabigbull
    I called and no answer, so I sent an email. Do you know if they're true drop in stocks (the unpainted ones)? I don't mean necessarily that I wouldn't have to file down some areas, I just mean I don't need to also buy a plastic DBM piece or anything like that? They seem super high quality

wannakillabigbull
    Got ahold of him and he said they weigh about 3 pounds, which is a little on the heavy side for backpack hunting. B&C's for my rifle are around 2.3 pounds so I guess I'll go with one of those.