Thread: Savage 116 Aftermarket Stock for Bipod

wannakillabigbull

Savage 116 Aftermarket Stock for Bipod

New to the forum. Just picked up a 116 Trophy Hunter XP for $500 and am super excited, but apparently I missed the memo that the factory stock forend has no stiffness and apparently won't shoot well with a bipod. I put my bipod on and the stock is definitely going to touch the barrel. This rifle will mainly be used for hunting out west and I need it to shoot well with a bipod on uneven ground. Does anyone recommend a good stock that would meet my needs? Looking to stay relatively light and not pay over $150.

I browsed other similarish treads and saw people recommending the Choate and the Boyd's stocks. Is the Choate stiff enough to be used with a bipod in hunting conditions? The Boyd's are wood so I imagine they will suit my needs too, but I can't find how much they weigh......thanks for the help!

Basic Member
    Choate is good and stiff, probably more than $150.

Boyds will get you what you are asking for price-wise (without checkering). Checkering will add about $55.

wannakillabigbull
    Norm, I understand you're a Boyd's dealer. Can you talk me through the Boyd's? I go to Boyd's find a stock and put in savage/116 th xp/dbm and it gives me options. I choose to customize, go for say pepper laminate, add a limbsaver recoil pad and I'm sitting at $153 + tax. That will be a relative drop in and be better than the factory superflexy stock? Also, any idea what the weight of these Boyd's stocks are? They aren't listed anywhere.....

Basic Member
    yep. That stock should be very close to 2 1/2 pounds.

If you stay with the plastic bottom magazine, you will also need a plastic bottom metal piece for wood stocks... Savage Customer service will send you one for about $15.
    It will be a WHOLE LOT better than the factory stock, i promise you. They are supposed to be "drop in", but sometimes you gotta relieve the inside around the trigger assembly area or else it snags a bit. They are not pillared, though, which could cause a problem for you down the road. Be sure you put in the right model... 16 is short action, 116 is long action.