Thread: Most comprehensive/versatile rifle and round?

Most comprehensive/versatile rifle and round?

Hey all,

I'm looking for advice and recommendations on the most all around/versatile hunting rifle and caliber for game ranging from coyote to bear and everything in between. In other words, if you could only have one savage rifle for the majority of the hunting you do, what would it be?

My budget is between 500 and 1000.

I've been hunting for about a year and am hoping to do much more this next year but I only want to buy one rifle so I can still entertain all of my other money guzzling hobbies I think the majority of my hunting will be deer, pig and bear.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model 116 LWH 270
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I concur with that choice.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

swamphonkey
    Well where are you at? Out west where long shots are common or down here in Dixie with me where most shots are in feet not yards?
    For hunting I would get a short comfortable handling rifle. That can take game up to 350 yards and could double as a good fun gun for range days.
    3-0-8 in a nice light 20-22" any models you like the way it feels (they all are good ).. If you want more of a 270 performance get the 7mm08. And you loose the recoil and 4" of tube to hang up on everything. But whatever you pick you will get used to it 20 years ago I used a 110 fp heavy barrel for everything and never once thought it was too heavy or big. So get what fits you best and go kill stuff.

Basic Member
    If your talking black bear, 25-06 or 270. The 25-06 will take anything from a bear to a chipmonk and still pretty light on recoil

Basic Member
    There is no one size fit all caliber, you'll get pros and cons no matter what you choose. BUT, if I were to pick one it would be the 6.5 Creedmoor with a 22" med to heavy barrel. The Creed in a short action, gives you all the advantages of most caliber offered in the long action without the extra weight and recoil.

Basic Member
    I'd build another 6.5-06. in an 8 twist you can run 108grs up to 140grs pills from busting prairie dogs to big game and still turn around and plink or shoot matches with it out beyond 1K.

There is a reason that a sporter in 30-06 topped with a 3-9x40 has been the most popular hunting combination on the planet for many decades.
    For me it's a 116 in 30-06 topped with Leupold rings, bases and a VX2 3-9x40.
    With .30 cal bullets from under 100gr to 240gr available and a myriad of suitable powders I don't think there is a more versatile centerfire rifle cartridge on the planet.
    This combination (well mine has the older vari x2) has served me well as my primary hunting rifle for decades and cleanly taken every game animal I've ever shot with it.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 02-13-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by swamphonkey View Post
    Well where are you at? Out west where long shots are common or down here in Dixie with me where most shots are in feet not yards?
    For hunting I would get a short comfortable handling rifle. That can take game up to 350 yards and could double as a good fun gun for range days.
    3-0-8 in a nice light 20-22" any models you like the way it feels (they all are good ).. If you want more of a 270 performance get the 7mm08. And you loose the recoil and 4" of tube to hang up on everything. But whatever you pick you will get used to it 20 years ago I used a 110 fp heavy barrel for everything and never once thought it was too heavy or big. So get what fits you best and go kill stuff.

I considered posting those two cartridges as they are favorites of mine, but the 20 inch barrel on the lightweight hunter and the versatility of the 270 won over. Now if they made it in a 280.....
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I think when you use the word "versatile" you are automatically looking at the military cartridges. While I agree that .270 is a great North American cartridge (and it is what I chose for myself), 30-06 is more versatile than .270: more bullet weights, more barrel contours available. But really the debate over these is an endless merry-go-round of trade-offs. I don't think that either is a bad choice . . .

.30-06 or .308 would be my first choice for versatility, even though I'm a die hard .270 Win fan.

Thanks for the info guys! This helps a lot. I'll look in to some of those suggestions.

I am located in southern California and will be hunting mostly here and north of here by about 6 hours. So yes, I would be hunting black bear and the range of shot varies greatly. Anything from 25 meters out to maybe 650?

Also, I was just checking out the 11 scout in .308. Is this more of a range rifle? Is it inferior when it comes to hunting? I just love the way it looks and feels.

Basic Member
    Don't stop at just 1 rifle!

.223,6.5 creedmoor and a .308 will cover the whole gambit of prey and not beat you up too bad either.

If only 1 then 6.5 creeedmoor or .270 win,I would go with the creedmoor to avoid the recoil.

The expense of the factory rounds is also a factor to consider.

Choose a caliber that you are going to be able to afford to shoot enough to be proficient with and consider recoil and pleasure of shooting as factors as well.

Basic Member
    I second the recommendation of "Big Honking Jeep", 30-06 with a 3-9 scope. My 30-06 will accurately shoot bullets from 150 grains up to 200 grains. One other aspect is that the 270, 25-06 and 30-06 share the same action. If you change your mind, just re-barrel!

I do have an ar15 in .223 with a 1-4 scope that I have used for coyote so this would not be my ONLY rifle, Just my mane rifle for hunting.

Love the re-barrel advice! I'll keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 years ago I bought my 1st rifle ... 270 Savage ... I was told that a 270 could handle all game in Texas (where I live). The thing kicks (recoil) horribly... but is a Tac driver

Since then I have added 2 more Savages, 2 AR's and a Thompson Center

... I really like my 308 ... great hunting round
    Thank You
    Wayne

One very important thing wasn't mentioned....

Do you handload or do you rely of Factory ammunition ???

If Factory ammo is all you shoot... I say 30-06' Springfield, 270 Winchester, or 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Winchester if you want less recoil.

If you Handload.... 300 WinMag ! if you don't mind the recoil. Or 6.5 Creedmoor.

You say you're in Commiefornia ? are you forced to shoot led-free bullets for hunting ?

We are talking savage here. So easy to build a switchbarrel. Takes about.10 minutes to change barrels/cartridges.

Get you a barrel chambered in one of the 6mm BR improved cartridges like the dasher for coyote hunting and fun at the range

Get you a barrel chambered in 6.5mm like the creedmoor for medium range hunting and fun at the range

Get you a barrel chambered in one of the short magnums like the 6.5 SAUM 300 WSM for long range hunting and.larger game. Now this one would require a different bolt or at least bolt head.

Got it covered with one gun!

Now all you have to decide on is barrel contour, barrel manufacturer, barrel length and the.stock. remember the barrel contours all need to be the same to fit.the barrel channel on the stock you choose. Oh yes you could also change stocks with different barrels.

Down the rabbit hole we go!

Basic Member
    hmm...one size fits all.... I vote a .308, built on a long action with a light palma contour, threaded, 1:10 twist finished at 18.5" in a manners T2 with a mini chassis, topped with a vortex pst 2.5-10x32.

you could run everything from factory ammo to heavy long loaded handloads. being short and relatively light will make it handle great and still be wieldable with a suppressor on it. the optic will still be useable for when shooting distance yet not too hindering when taking a up close shot while hunting.

I built one similar and love it. went a different route with optics and the barrel contour is heavier (balance is off) and haven't been able to spring for the manners stock yet.
    it shoots 175 2577ft/sec loaded to mag length and has gotten 208 Amax's loaded 2.9" up to 2525 with 2000MR

edit: looks like I overlooked the price aspect.

In that case I'll jump on the 30-06 band wagon with a 2.5-10 or 3-9 optic.
    Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 02-21-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Basic Member
    You would need to better define what you mean by versatile. Are you looking at precision target, long range hunting, and being able to shoot about 50 rounds a month in and be able to find factory ammo? Then I would take a hard look at the 6.5 creedmoor.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    You might look at the model 11 Hog Hunter in .308. It's a nice, compact and kind of a do all rifle.

The most versatile rifle is the one you are happy with and have learned well...

"Fear the man who owns one gun, for he probably knows how to use it..."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydix89 View Post
    Also, I was just checking out the 11 scout in .308.
    IMO, that would be a fine choice. If elk or moose were possibilities, the .308 would be a more appropriate than the .270 and has better barrel longevity than some of the more overbore stuff.
    If you don't care that much about a forward mounted scope, the Hog Hunter is a little better deal.

If you don't handload, it is hard to beat a 308 Winchester. Accurate, will work in a short action which gives good rigidity, light weight, and low to moderate recoil. Also more than powerful enough for about any game you are hunting. And the ammo is available about any place that sells any ammunition.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is the best choice for the range of game mentioned.

The 140 gr all copper rounds will kill like 200 gr classic bullets and you don't have the heavy recoil.

The 80 - 90 gr varmint bullets will take care of the lighter critters too.

Oh, and by the way, the cartridge was designed for long range competition and does well there too.

OR, if you want to use a classic cartridge, go with the 6.5 x 55 and you get the same stuff provided you get the same or tighter twist barrel. I think one wiuld need a 30-06 length action but will have plenty of seating depth flexibility.