Thread: Axis XP - Included Scope reticle issues and scope base threads crossed

NyVetteGuy

Axis XP - Included Scope reticle issues and scope base threads crossed

New owner (2 weeks) of a Savage Axis XP which included a Bushnell scope.

Went to the range this morning and something didn't look right with the reticle in the scope...turns out it came loose inside and is useless now.

Even though it's under warranty I did some research and found out how cheap the included scope is.

Bought a nice Nikon Scope at Dicks, also got a Tipton gun vice and level set to mount the scope myself etc

To my surprise the rear scope base screws were not even tightened down at the factory and the front screws are basically cross threaded...

It appears that the quality control of this company is non existent...now gonna bring to a gunsmith to remove the front screws and tap new holes I guess...

i have shot about 90 rounds total...

NOT HAPPY..

Basic Member

Basic Member
    I learned years ago that "package deals" are rarely a deal at all. Scopes, rings and mounts are always the cheapest available, and no particular care is take at the factory when they are installed.

X-Sight forAxis XP

Ok, a year since the last post on this thread and my factory bore sighted Bushnell wasn't even tightened down and one of the rear base screws was so over - tightened I had to use an Easy-Out to remove it.
    Now my .270 Win Axis is sporting a full length rail topped with an ATN X-SIGHT II 5-20 X HD scope. Haven't had it to the range yet, but have been very impressed with this sight's capabilities and the option of true IR night vision, and the included illuminator lets me glass my AO before the sun even comes up. Time will tell, but I'm hopeful. Anyone have thoughts?

I too bought mine in 30-06 as a combo, and yes it was a entry level Bushnell. (Cheap) I fired the first round and the cross hairs actually fell sideways in the reticle. I bought a better scope and mounted, leveled and zeroed it. Earlier I had bought a Cricket 22 LR single shot for my then 4 year old grandson and he loved looking at my guns in the cabinet when he came over. He spotted my Axis and asked what the scope was so I told him it was to aim with. He said he wanted an aimer on his, so I sent the Bushnell in for warranty work. Of course they couldn't fix it so they replaced it and I mounted it on his Cricket, zeroed it and told him how to use it and he is a dead eye shooter with it.

Basic Member
    After getting my first few Savages I went ahead and bought a 6-48 bottom tap and just "help" out whatever job the factory did. They are cheap enough that I can let the flaws slide and just dress them up myself.

Basic Member
    Yep, they are cheap scopes. The first thing I did with my rifle was remove the scope and redo all the screws. Two base screws were loose. After that the scope has worked pretty well. Elevation even seems to return to set points well enough. It is on a .223 HB so it does not get much recoil. One of these days I might get a better scope for it.

PS when I get something this inexpensive I don't expect any quality control (QC inspectors cost more than assy workers). If I paid $1000 for it then I'd definitely be ticked off.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk