Thread: Ragged Hole Barrels

Basic Member

Ragged Hole Barrels

So someone asked about ragged hole barrels and how they shot.

I was working up a load for the new Barrel using IMR 4831 and 168 grain Berger vld. It was pretty windy at the range, blowing right to left, blowing between 15 to 25 miles an hour.

Anyhow it was coming out of a 26-inch 9 twist 7 millimeter Remington Magnum at 100 yards. It is the number three contour and I am running a shrewd break.

This was the best group running at 2 grains under book Max.

These were my first two three shot groups.

What is interesting, is that I was doing a ocw test, and on this target I shot the first two on a warming to almost hot Barrel. The rangemaster called a ceasefire, and so I let my gun cool all the way down before I started the test again.

If you ever wondered why your first shot was off after a day at the range when you sighted your Barrel in warm, I think these next three pictures explains point of impact with a cold versus warm Barrel.

The two shots that look like flyers to the upper left of each of these groups, starting from left to right were the first three shots on the cold Barrel, by the third shot, you can see that it starts grouping again. The one on the far right is just under the max load that was my best group. It is interesting to me that by the third shot it was still a little high and left but it was within a decent group. I wonder what it would have looked like if I had shot three consecutive bullets on the same temperature Barrel.

Basic Member
    And, while I can shoot decently I am no marksmen. So, I would say that these barrels are certainly huntworthy. I bet the heavy barrels are better.

I shot up the rest of my Hornady Eld Factory rounds and was hitting steel from 300 to 580 yards.

I have a Shaw 7mm08 that shoots one hole 3 shot groups. I think it was 150 several years ago. Have you tried any H 1000, R22 or 7828?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thanks, if I cant get it good enough, Ill see which of those look good in a magnum. IMR 4831 was the first powder I tried. Reloader 22 is one of the next.

I have a .260 from Shaw that shoots really good with factory ammo too.

I am just looking for a minute of deer accuracy to 300 yards for now, maybe 500 yards with practice.

I was shooting off a bipod, with a rolled up shirt for a rear bag, so with the wind it was less than ideal. My barrel is so long that I could see the wind move the crosshairs.