Thread: Bottom plastic? why, oh why.

Bottom plastic? why, oh why.

As the title suggests why in the world has savage switched to the axis style plastic on the 10/110 series? Obviously they are saving a few pennies but I personally can't stand the plastic. Doesn't inspire confidence in me at any rate.

I decided to go looking for a youth outfit to get my daughter squared away for her first season, naturally savage is one of my first choices. That plastic mag just totally turned me off from purchasing. Dare I say that I instantly gravitated towards the compact remington 700 with aluminum hinged floor plate.

I suppose I could also call savage and see if they still have and will sell complete bottom 'metal' setup, but I hate to have to pony up the extra $$.

If Remington had the same discount I can get for the Savage I would have bought it.

A lot of companies have gravitated towards plastic magazines to save money and reduce weight. Tikka and Browning are good examples. I am a traditionalist and like the metal magazines and bottom metal especially the trigger guards. In most cases you can find metal replacement parts. Adds to the cost I know but in the end you get the set up you want.

Basic Member
    Wave of the future, intake manifolds, pistol frames, rifle stocks, camera bodies and if they can figure it out rifle actions. It's easy to work with and requires little to no milling. Save millions upon millions of dollars of the life span of a production run.

Basic Member
    I agree with points made all here. In their defense, the plastic versions seem to work quite well, if you can stomach the idea.

Keep in mind, they DO offer all metal mags for not a whole lot more $, but they require a metal frame and a stock that is inletted for the frame. All the Accustock models come with it, and if you go with an aftermarket stock like Boyds, you can acquire the needed parts for either the metal or plastic bottom mag.

Team Savage
    I can live with the plastic magazine bottom cap due to the weight savings with a hunting rifle. But the plastic trigger guards are a POS and provide little support for the rear action screw. I've had them crack under the screw head or loosen over time with recoil. A metal TG and a varmint Accutrigger spring are IMO the first upgrades necessary for improving the accuracy potential of a new Savage rifle.

I don't believe the youth version has an accustock option, so I would have to purchase bottom 'metal'.

I think it's a mistake for them to abandon the 'metal, but I suppose I will just have to accept it for what it is.

As far as I know, there is no bottom metal on the new 10/11 stocks. It's all part of the stock. So getting a bottom metal will not be possible. Unless as stated by Foxx you get aftermarket stock that's already inleted for bottom metal.

I think I might of read that the Light Weight Hunter has a plastic bottom metal which can indeed be swapped to the metal one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Not only do the new 10/11 have no bottom metal and use Axis type magazines, but the firing pin is just like the Axis style firing pin/spring.

I also hate smooth barrel nuts and especially the bottom bolt release.

Savage is not what it used to be. All my older actions are smoother than the new ones.

Team Savage
    You can find real bottom metal if you so choose. I stripped the real bottom metal off my Savage Scout and replaced it with plastic to drop weight, and I'm not sorry I did.

If I plan to carry a rifle, I want to carry as little weight as possible. I'll leave the metal at the bench.