Thread: Reloder 23 and 7mm Rem Mag

Basic Member

Reloder 23 and 7mm Rem Mag

Hey there,

So after searching over, around and through the interwebs for several weeks, I can't find much data on Re23 and much of anything. It seems that it is always grouped with Re26 when talked about and only Re26 is ever discussed.

I'd like to hear about people's experience with the little brother. My go to load for most 7mm Rem Mags has been a 160gr Accubond with 66.0gr of Re22, always delivered amazing results in most rifles I've tried it in.

I'm wondering if people have knowledge with this powder. I understand the are other powders out there, I would like to stay focused towards Re23, not only to find a load my rifle likes, but to gather info for many others.

Thanks in advance.

SHM

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thatguyshm: I found some data from the Alliant site, 160 Gr Speer BTSP @3.21, 24 inch barrel, Federal Brass & 215 primers. The Max of
    65.1 Grs RL-23 @ 3001 FPS

Basic Member
    I've looked at their data, I like to add in from other sources. I've run into data from Alliants website they doesn't sound safe in regards to greatly shortened COAL and they stand by it when contacted. I'm looking more so for additional information but thanks for the note for sure.

Your very welcome, but you don't have to use Alliant's seating depth, the Max OAL for the 7MM Remington Magnum is 3.290. You can always find the best OAL length for YOUR rifle using the Nosler 160 Accubond

Basic Member
    I guess I should have rephrased it to what people are actually using for data, rather than the scant data Alliant already offers. I'd love to talk with people who have real world use and testing.

Once the snow clears, I'm going to see what it does in 7mm RM, 257 Roy and 300 WM. Until then, I'm just trying to see what others are actually using.

Basic Member
    Today it was 22* out, but snow has cleared enough that I could easily get to the bench and test my loads with the 7mm. First time out with the rifle, only shot the 180 ELD-M. First ten were shot in two strings of three, cleaning between each string, then a string of four, using a mild load of 66 grains of Retumbo, which surprisingly hovered right at 2800 fps. Barrel is a 26" Criterion stainless barrel.

Then I cleaned again and switched to Reloder 23. Started at 60.0 grains. Using my magnetospeed v3, I chrono'd the first two rounds for speed and to foul then let the rifle cool back down. Then shot a three shot group since it is my hunting rifle. Front and rear rests. So the data is very small to begin with, but 22* makes you want to be extremely efficient.

2805, 2814

About half an inch three shot group

2832, 2823

About an inch group three shot group

2861, 2860

.8" group three shot group

I cleaned between each group, let it cool between groups and between the two fouling velocity test shots.

Not much data, but better then none and very good for shots 11-25 out of a brand new build. Next will be 61-62.2 by .3 grains.

SHM

Quote Originally Posted by thatguyshm View Post
    1) I guess I should have rephrased it to what people are actually using for data, rather than the scant data Alliant already offers.
    2) I'd love to talk with people who have real world use and testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguyshm View Post
    3).I've looked at their data, I like to add in from other sources.
    4) I've run into data from Alliants website they doesn't sound safe in regards to greatly shortened COAL and they stand by it when contacted. I'm looking more so for additional information but thanks for the note for sure.
    1) That is at best inviting trouble. Charge range, WITH corresponding velocity range is all you need from Alliant or other manual. With a scant few exceptions, few of us care enough to buy pressure testing equipment. When we tell people something is over-pressure, they ignore us because it goes against the cool kids in their club.
    2) See #1 again.
    3) Adding data together?!
    4) Holy carp, Batman...
    Let's get you some real information about reloading. Unless you start talking stupid differences or compressed loads, seating deeper ALWAYS LOWERS pressure. A minor change in the burning rate from case capacity, always gets trumped by the gas bypassing the bullet before engraving the lands. This was studied long ago, here is a chart from that work.

So to your questions about the powder. Alliant was part of ATK, without looking it up I can't remember if they got the boot in a spin-off so they could merge with Orbital or not. Point is, they don't "make" powder. They lost the contract to operate the Radford Arsenal years back, and with it and production capacity. That is unless BAE sold them rejected Rocket/morter propellant, then they could still resell it as shotgun/pistol powder.
    Reloader 23 came to the states in roughly 2014-ish. It comes from Groupe SNPE, which is French State owned. They own/build all Bofors, Ramshot, Eurenco lines, and most of the Reloader series.

Remember that the Reloader is the waste market for the military industrial complex. No one makes powder for us, they just happen to sell what they've already made to us.
    Since that powder is quite new to the US, there may just not have been time to test it. Also remember that MOST books aren't actually tested frequently. They are reprints for long stretches, or calculations. Speer was spun-off in the Orbital/ATK merger. They have been actively working on a total re-shoot with pressure tested data for over a year now. When I talked to them in Jan, it may not even be done this year. We both know company's schlepping bullets won't dedicate 3 years and a mountain of money to testing for a manual everytime. So we shouldn't expect it from a company who only resells powder with their name on it.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Okay, I understand that you are the most knowledgeable reloader on the interwebs due to the responses you post to every reloading subforum on many different websites. Put 48 grains of AR Comp in a 338 Federal case, seat a 180gr Nosler to the prescribed 2.675 and shoot it in your firearm. It is very compressed, and every other load, including from Nosler's own reloading guide number 8, lists a COAL of 2.800-2.820" .

What I'm doing here is trying to find out information about Reloder 23. There is not a lot of talk of real world use, and I'm trying to find information. Thank you for your attempt at, well yeah. Okay.

You asked for information relating to load data for the 7mag with RL-23. I offered some reasons why you may not see much data. Maybe you disagree, maybe you don't think it applies, maybe you just don't care, maybe you agree, all acceptable.

To help you with your misunderstanding in the 338 Federal example:
    Nosler doesn't list a COAL of 2.800 - 2.820". They simply list a TESTED COAL, and SAAMI max OAL based upon cartridge drawings. They don't say what your rifle was built to, nor that you should or shouldn't do something else; simply what they tested.

The graph I posted shows an example of why you can safely seat something deeper. I specifically stated that it didn't apply with compressed loads, nor did I say that you could therefore assume the example posted is suddenly applicable to any possible combination; ignoring the compressed warning.

Spend a little more time considering, and a little less with the personal attacks and you may learn something you can use.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Going forward, if anyone would like to learn of my experience of Rl23, feel free to pm me, other than that, I am done with this thread, which simply was going an attempt to share information. Good luck Savage men.

Basic Member
    The 2 powders I've played with are Reloader 22 and H4831sc. My current load is 63gr of Reloader 22 shooting a 180gr berger hybrid to ~2900fps. I believe I can get more velocity out of H4831sc. I also have a pound of IMR4451 that I could play with.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

So let me see if I am understanding what your saying, you don't want to use the data from Alliant, you want someone to give their data, which may or may not be accurate or even safe in YOUR rifle? Nosler the maker of the AB bullets doesn't even list RL-23 in there data! RL-23 isn't a very common powder in the 7MM RM.

We can talk about who makes powder all day long but I have never had to adjust a new lot more than a few grains. Never 5 or 6 like we are led to believe. I am looking for the testimony where a rifle blew up just changing lots. So enough with the sky is falling mantra. Thousands of guys trade recipies on the hide and Accurate Shooter. Still looking for the guy who lost his life to someone else's load.

I don't see what it hurts to ask for a starting point with a powder that is not widely used. I don't have any experience with this powder or load so I will leave with good luck and you may have better luck on one of the forums were there is real world experience and help not the your going to die if you don't listen to me terpsichorean rejectamenta.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Robinhood the OP was ( So after searching over, around and through the interwebs for several weeks, I can't find much data on Re23 and much of anything. It seems that it is always grouped with Re26 when talked about and only Re26 is ever discussed.

I'd like to hear about people's experience with the little brother. My go to load for most 7mm Rem Mags has been a 160gr Accubond ).

So I offered this Your very welcome, but you don't have to use Alliant's seating depth, the Max OAL for the 7MM Remington Magnum is 3.290. You can always find the best OAL length for YOUR rifle using the Nosler 160 Accubond

The op replied like this (I guess I should have rephrased it to what people are actually using for data, rather than the scant data Alliant already offers. I'd love to talk with people who have real world use and testing.) He also said (My go to load for most 7mm Rem Mags has been a 160gr Accubond with 66.0gr of Re22, always delivered amazing results in most rifles I've tried it in.)

There is nothing wrong with asking for help or guidance on load data or comparing results with a bullet or powder. The OP didn't want to use the available data from Alliant to build his load using RL-23 and the Nosler 160 Gr AB. We can only help those who want to help themselves