Thread: 5 round mag included with my Mark II FV SR split apart the first time I used it

Smurf Hunter

5 round mag included with my Mark II FV SR split apart the first time I used it

Here's the message I sent to Savage customer support. 13 days and no contact from them.

I recently purchased a savage mark ii rifle from XXXX.Today I went to the range to zero a scope I had installed, but had numerous feeding issues. Because I had also bought a spare magazine, I was able to compare. I determined the included magazine had separated along the seam where the sheet metal is joined. I can squeeze this back into shape, but any firm handling can work it apart.
    Please see attached photos. Is this something I can fix at home or do you recommend I not use the problem magazine?

I'm fairly handy and think I could repair this with epoxy, JB Weld or something, but it does irritate me a bit that it broke the first time shooting, and I have not heard a response from Savage.

The 10 rounder I bought off the shelf operates perfectly, so I'm sure this magazine is the trouble.

Any suggestions?

I've always loved my MKII's, but as cheesily as the mags are made, I'm very surprised this doesn't happen more often. Honestly, my 5-rounders are in a box somewhere... I never use them. I'd just chalk it up and go get another 10... to me, that little thing wouldn't even be worth the irritation.

Smurf Hunter
    I think you are right. It's funny the 5 and 10 rounders are the same price, at least the places I've shopped. It's not as if the 5 rounder sits flush into the stock, so may as well go for the capacity I think.

valvestem
    Other fellows have "fixed" this issue with 2 part epoxy after degreasing, or JB Weld as well. One fellow simply pushed it back together, and used a cold chisel to wack the edge of the proud tab to sort of peen it so it cant fit back through the slot.