Thread: Savage Target Model Barrels - how good are they?

Basic Member

Savage Target Model Barrels - how good are they?

I bore scoped a budget 12FV and the barrel had massive chatter marks all through the barrel. Really awful looking, although the gun shot 5/8" to 3/4" 5 shot groups which is surprising considering how bad it looked. I have also scoped two Savage target models with SS barrels that looked fabulous, like match barrels.

I am curious if anyone knows if the barrels that come on Target models are generally considered to be as good as an aftermarket match barrel such as a Criterion or Shilen?

Basic Member
    My Savage FTR in 308 has chatter marks towards the muzzle but it's a 1/2 MOA gun at least. It doesn't copper foul as bad as you might think it would either. I'd like to borescope it but haven't got around to it.

Ratbuster,

In my opinion, there may be one savage barrel that's going to be "on par" with a barrel from Criterion or Shilen. and that is the LRP model 12. Anything else I just don't believe it is.

They are all the same, save the contour. There is no "special" line just mass production, all done with the same machines and procedures segregated by contour. They all get put in a vice and bent straight as needed.
    No they don't come anywhere close to the listed aftermarket lines, in terms of quality and care of production.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbuster View Post
    I bore scoped a budget 12FV
    No offense.... but why? If it shoots MOA or better, what are you worried about... shoot it.

Basic Member
    There is less than 30 minutes total labor from bar stock to finished barrel, take that for what it's worth.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I don't disagree with the above really, factory production is what it is. If the implication is that they have no idea what they are doing and everything in a customers hand is a random choice that is probably not true. They make more money on some parts than others. There reputation or the expectations of the buyers are different for different products. They know how their lines are running, when they tune or calibrate or update tooling etc.

This is everywhere these days. You buy a product at one store or supplier and you don't know if it's the same as another place. Savage may have this problem too.

All of which is to say that the barrels in the higher end model 12's might be better. Or maybe not rofl....

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    There is less than 30 minutes total labor from bar stock to finished barrel, take that for what it's worth.
    Impressive,.... drill, rifle, profile, thread and chamber.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Actually there's a little more to it. 20 ft. bars are sheared to length, then color coded for caliber. Then they are racked 40 barrels per rolling rack. From there they get drilled, then reamed. From there, they are rifled and sent across the isle to be contoured,threaded and crowned. Then they are straightened and sent to chambering. After chambering, some barrels get polished, the others get shot blasted after the receiver is installed. Somewhere in that mix they get checked periodically.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

My Model 12 Varmint Low Profile 223 has a barrel that is nothing but tooling marks, but shoots 3/4 MOA. With about 1,100 rounds through it, the first 7 inches has carbon fouling I'll never get off - the remaining 19 inches are sparkling, shiny clean (still with chatter marks all the way to muzzle).