Thread: Machined my own bolt knobs

Banned

Machined my own bolt knobs

I started with this one made from Delrin polymer. It was a test to make certain this would work before I went with other material. Started with a bar of black Delrin I had and turned it to about 1” round as I do small parts, using my mill.

Drilled/tapped. Machined-ground the contour using my 2x72 belt grinder.

Knowing this would work, I ordered some 6AL4V in 22mm round bar.

Drilled & tapped 5/16-24 & cut to 1.5” starting length on bandsaw. Machined the contour similar to Badger. Came out very nicely & will match well to my new Titanium Bolt Handle. I will post more pictures after I sand blast & Cerakote. This along with the bolt handle, I have 14 small parts to Cerakote. (Always the little pieces, ya know..)

Basic Member
    Nicely done, Dave
    Beautifully machined and I'm sure it will look great.

Basic Member
    Nice work there Dave!

Very nice work. congrats.

Team Savage

Very nice Dave!

Basic Member
    Did you use a rounding fixture tool post? They make easy work doing stuff like this

I wish I could see the pictures. It sounds similar to the way I do mine. I used round stock(drill rod) and aluminum for the heads. Mostly done in a mill and a colet lathe.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I wish I could see the pictures. It sounds similar to the way I do mine. I used round stock(drill rod) and aluminum for the heads. Mostly done in a mill and a colet lathe.
    Its odd you can’t see these Robin. Even if you click the link? They are just 3rd party from IMGBB. Yes, we’ve talked about turning in a mill before. That’s what I do. But only small objects. And only to round & bevel edges. I can’t contour with this setup. I contour the old fashioned way. Grinding on my 2:72 belt grinder, which is incredibly powerful! 20 wide x 72” long ceramic belts will eat steel, Aluminum, Titanium like it’s Balsa wood!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Did you use a rounding fixture tool post? They make easy work doing stuff like this
    Actually no. I know exactly what you mean, but for something like this, I grind the bevel angle first. Similar to grinding the primary bevel on a blade. This sets the minimum diam. almost to where it meets the bolt handle. About .460” diameter. Then I grind the flat in a convex shape. Because of years grinding blades, I have the control for this without a guide.

Tomme,

I decided i liked the round ones so I TIG'ed some bearing balls (around 7/8" diameter) to the end of some drill rod after I ID threaded 1/4-28 the other end. Cut the bolt handle off, milled it flat and perpendicular to the axis, tapped the flat the same in the middle of the handle where I cut it off. Used some all thread and red loctite to tie it together. Blended the transition with a set of files and some sandpaper....and done. Fortunate for me at the time I had access to a full. Really like these kind of post where others share ideas!!!

Dave,

It is rare I miss pictures but in this case I don,t even see links.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage

This is the last pic can you see it when you click the link?

https://i.ibb.co/VHmbGF4/6930-B670-3...-BCA103472.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Tomme,

I decided i liked the round ones so I TIG'ed some bearing balls (around 7/8" diameter) to the end of some drill rod after I ID threaded 1/4-28 the other end. Cut the bolt handle off, milled it flat and perpendicular to the axis, tapped the flat the same in the middle of the handle where I cut it off. Used some all thread and red loctite to tie it together. Blended the transition with a set of files and some sandpaper....and done. Fortunate for me at the time I had access to a full. Really like these kind of post where others share ideas!!!

Dave,

It is rare I miss pictures but in this case I don,t even see links.
    Great post Robin. I’m right there with you compadre. I absolutely love these threads. Different people discussing & going into specifics of how they do such & such a machining project. It feeds the machinist in me! Gives me such a sense of pride; then reverence when I see & hear what others are doing! Great stuff.