Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axis xp2 223 light strikesirs

Amistoso

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla26 View Post
    I just bought the last two cartons of CCI #400 at the LGS. Small rifle primers are getting scarce, I had to check three stores before I found any. I went to the range yesterday and 20 out of 20 rounds fired with the Rem 7 1/2's. I would like to think that the .030" shim helped, too early to tell.
    Excellent. Whatever works... I know for my Axis in .223rem, the CCI #400 work great.

gus88

Possible reason for savage light strikes

I had almost 50% light strike issues with a new savage 30-06. After reading thru multiple forums I decided to take apart the bolt. Here is what I found
    The Savage Axis appears to use a two piece spring separated by what looks like a metal O-ring. When I took the bolt apart I found that the O-Ring was captured by the rear spring--my theory is that as you cycle the bolt, the rotation randomly causes the open end of the spring to capture the O-ring (or equivalently lock into the O-ring). This effectively reduces the spring tension since the overall length of the spring mechanism is shortened.

Given what I heard about delays in getting it fixed, my solution was to take a hardware store washer and grind/polish it down to the appropriate size as a replacement O-ring--keeping the outside edge square. (Note--the the washer is round, just the outside edge is not rounded). That way the spring does not get a chance to climb into the washer. I also made the washer 20% thicker (tried 50% initially but the bolt felt tight).

Since that modification I have not had any light strikes.

JParker
    Do not fire 5.56 Nato ammo in your Axis. Make sure the ammo is head stamped .223 Remington. The hard primers are not the only problem, there is a headspace/pressure difference with the 5.56 in a .223 chamber that could result in damage to the gun and you. You can fire .223 ammo in a 5.56 gun/chamber safely, but it won't be as accurate as he 5.56.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12