Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axis xp2 223 light strikesirs

Tpsfoto

Axis xp2 223 light strikesirs

Hi all....just went for the first time to shoot my new xp2 223 and out of 15 rounds it only shot 6. The rounds that did not fire had a light strike. I did clean the bolt and rifle before shooting....savage only wants me to send in the whole rifle....I soaked the bolt in some Balistrol for a couple of hours.....any other ideas....I am not going to try to take apart the bolt. Savage did provide me with a return label, but I will have to remove my new scope and it will be by them at least 3 weeks.
    i was shooting Federal 55gr military grade boxed 223

Scope or no scope, the rifle is junk as it sits.
    I take responsibility for my actions.....not yours.

Basic Member
    Have you tried any other ammunition?

Basic Member
    I've run PMC bronze and Remington (Freedom Bucket) both in 55gr through my Axis with no problems. If the store you bought it at won't help you, then my advice is to find another store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mag410
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpsfoto View Post
    Federals AR223 ammo is loaded with the harder military type primers as they are intended to be shot in AR-15 rifles.

My Axis would snap on 1 or 2 out of 10, with the AR type ammo and also with reloads using CCI 450 magnum primers which are also hard. No problems since I disassembled the bolt and polished it thoroughly.

I have not had any problems any with civilian type ammo or with reloads with CCI 400 primers.

Michael

Basic Member
    I have only shot Fiocchi 50 grain V-Max and 62 grain junk Tulammo in mine...no problems with either.

Tpsfoto
    I will try some other ammo.......hopefully that would work....if not it will go back.
    thanks all

I have had trouble during cold weather with gloves on. I believe I am not pulling straight back.

johnny-bravo

johnny-bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Have you tried any other ammunition?
    6.5x47 lapua cannot message, contact gauge2008@gmail.com

Try a different type of ammo. If you see any issues with rounds not fired or light strikes, run...don't walk, but run...to your shipper of choice to send that rifle back to Savage. Personally, I'd insist they replace it if the retailer won't.

Bigguns
    I put my new axis Xp heavy barrel thru a 50rnd break in, I did have 2 out of the 50 hit the primer and not go off, I reloaded one and it did it again.
    I'm shooting the federal 55gr brass case in the redish maroon 100rnd box.
    ill try a more typical round for a bolt action I was thinking of using the Winchester 64 grain xp hog season bullet?

Tpsfoto
    It was the ammo......PMC bronze and low end Federal worked fine......the 223 military grade had harder primers....so I sold the rounds.
    thanks all!

Basic Member
    all is well that ends well

Basic Member
    I believe I have run the AR223 through my 12FV and nary a problem. I would think they should go boom with a bolt, even if the primers might be a bit heavier.

Tpsfoto
    Quote Originally Posted by WV1951 View Post
    I believe I have run the AR223 through my 12FV and nary a problem. I would think they should go boom with a bolt, even if the primers might be a bit heavier.
    Out of 20 rounds only 6 fired......PMC bronze 20 out of 20 fired.....I sold the AR223 rounds
    thanks for the reply

Basic Member
    I have the same problem with my Axis .223. I have only shot handloads using Remington 7 1/2 primers but one or two out of twenty will fail to fire, the primer is dented but no bang. Sometimes the second strike will fire it. I am in the process of bolt disassembly and cleaning to see if this will help.

Tpsfoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla26 View Post
    I have the same problem with my Axis .223. I have only shot handloads using Remington 7 1/2 primers but one or two out of twenty will fail to fire, the primer is dented but no bang. Sometimes the second strike will fire it. I am in the process of bolt disassembly and cleaning to see if this will help.
    I soaked mine in Ballistrol overnight, then dried it, it then fired PMC bronze fine, but still wouldn't fire the 223 military grade, even tried to fire a second time with the same brass, and nothing

Basic Member
    Took my Axis .223 bolt apart and cleaned it even though it was clean to begin with. I decided to try adding a washer to the firing pin spring to increase spring tension. I machined an existing washer to .396 OD, .220 ID (through hole) and .057 thick. After I installed the washer and put the bolt back in, the bolt wouldn't open. I removed the washer and later on I might try a thinner washer or live with occasional light strikes.

Basic Member
    I just machined a washer to the same OD and ID as I stated above but made it .030" thick instead of .057. Everything functions fine and I will take it to the range later in the week to test it out.

Amistoso
    Hi all....just went for the first time to shoot my new xp2 223 and out of 15 rounds it only shot 6. The rounds that did not fire had a light strike. I did clean the bolt and rifle before shooting....savage only wants me to send in the whole rifle....I soaked the bolt in some Balistrol for a couple of hours.....any other ideas....I am not going to try to take apart the bolt. Savage did provide me with a return label, but I will have to remove my new scope and it will be by them at least 3 weeks.
    It's because those rounds have 5.56 military harder primers. When I use military or ticker walled primers, some CCI and some Tulammo primers, the same thing happens. That is your problem, I guarantee it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Amistoso
    Fire those same ones out of an AR 15 and they fire just fine.

Tpsfoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistoso View Post
    Fire those same ones out of an AR 15 and they fire just fine.

thanks!.......I did fire PMC bronze and it fired every round.....I sold those military grade to a guy with an AR

Amistoso
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla26 View Post
    Stick with CCI #400 srp

Basic Member
    I just bought the last two cartons of CCI #400 at the LGS. Small rifle primers are getting scarce, I had to check three stores before I found any. I went to the range yesterday and 20 out of 20 rounds fired with the Rem 7 1/2's. I would like to think that the .030" shim helped, too early to tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast