Thread: Duplicating Hornady commercial load

Basic Member

Duplicating Hornady commercial load

I've been able to get some very good groups out of my 20" FCP-SR using commercial Hornady 168gr BTHP loads. Within the next couple of weeks I'll start reloading for it and I'd like to approximately duplicate the external ballistics of the commercial ammo if possible. Unfortunately, my range doesn't allow chronographs (nothing forward of the firing line) so it's going to be trial and error for the most part. A Magnetospeed is in my future but the finances just don't allow it right now.

Hornady's ammo is rated at 2700fps and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what kind of velocity they're getting using the Hornady 168gr HPBT Match bullet over IMR4064 and what barrel length you're getting it from. This would give me some numbers to add to all of my accumulated data. I realize that there are a lot of other variables involved but I'm only looking at this as ballpark reference data.

Thanks for your help.

I know the case volume and weight is a little different but you are on the same path as the FGMM 168 load. That round is 2650 FPS. The problem is the 210m's are like hens teeth.
    Try the primer of choice and use the OCW starting with 42.0 and working up to 43.0. There is a hotter node but it is unnecessary if your not shooting 600 yards.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Robinhood, I was intending to use the OCW method from 41.5gr to 43.5gr fully expecting to find the node between 42 & 43gr. Do you think I should narrow down the test range to 42 to 43 as you stated? My range time is very limited and it's an hour and a half round trip so any time saved in load testing would be great.

Tcoz: I haven't had the chance to shoot the Hornady factory 168 GR BTHP load as of yet, this load is based on using a 24 inch barrel and what is not known is which powder is used and how much is used in the Hornady factory loading. Your using a 20 inch barrel so with that 4 inches of less barrel your already behind the 8 ball as far as velocity goes, you can expect velocity around 2600 FPS +/-. One powder that has become well know and regarded with the 168 Gr BTHP is IMR-4895. From my Savage model 10FP with a 24 inch barrel I've gotten groups the size of a dime using IMR-4895

Basic Member
    Since you cannot use a chro at the range, (which is bullshit), best to zero with the commercial load, then work up loads that will match your zero with commercial loads.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

TCOZ, I don''t have any experience with the Hornady Brass if that is what you are using. If you are limited on opportunities to go to the range, load up as much of a spread you want all the way up to 45 or 46 grains if you wish. However low to mid 42 is as low as you need to go. You will really like the 175s if you ever try them.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.