Thread: 110 BA: old model versus stealth?

Basic Member

110 BA: old model versus stealth?

Hey guys.
    I understand the new 110 BA stealth has a different stock and it's also a lighter gun with 3-4 lbs shaved off.

But I can't find any details. Where were the pounds shaved off? From barrel thickness? Or lighter/small chassis?

Same barrel and action as 110 FCP, chassis and stock much lighter. Chassis is a MDT built to spec for Savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Same barrel and action as 110 FCP, chassis and stock much lighter. Chassis is a MDT built to spec for Savage.
    Well no, it is not the same barrel. The older version is 26 inches long and the newer Stealth is 24 inches long.

Now as they increase or decrease barrel lengh most manufacturers will adjust barrel thickness as well. A shorter barrel will not ossilations as much from harmonics. So it doesn't need to be as thick and as stiff as a longer barrel. So to save weight and material a shorter barrel usually results in a slimmer one as well.

But the question here is this: did Savage leave their barrel thickness intact from one version to the newer and lighter version?

Basic Member
    Double post

Basic Member
    Oops! You wrote same barrel as 110 FCP, not sane barrel as previous 110 BA which would have been erroneous. My bad.

And it appears you are a Savage staffer. So I now look like a retard for trying to correct you. :P

But according to Savage site, the 110 FCP in .338 has a 26 inch barrel, just like the older 110 BA version while the newer 110 BA Stealth has a 24 inch barrel. So I'm confused!!

Not a staffer, quoting their website. I agree 24" and had FCP so you are right 2" shorter. I assume they meant just shortened.

Any change in barrel contour is going to be very minimal and have very little effect on the actual weight of the barrel. IMO the new Stealth setup is night and day better than the old 110BA as it's far less bulky and cumbersome, not to mention the Stealth is also 100% better looking. Now if you're just sitting and shooting paper or steel and not moving around any the added weight of the 110BA might be beneficial to help tame recoil, but that's the only benefit it would offer.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Any change in barrel contour is going to be very minimal and have very little effect on the actual weight of the barrel. IMO the new Stealth setup is night and day better than the old 110BA as it's far less bulky and cumbersome, not to mention the Stealth is also 100% better looking. Now if you're just sitting and shooting paper or steel and not moving around any the added weight of the 110BA might be beneficial to help tame recoil, but that's the only benefit it would offer.
    I have held two AT barrels in my hands before: a heavy one and a regular one. Let me tell you that there is a huge difference in weight. Now of course the BA and the BA stealth both have heavy barrels but I just can't believe that they were able to shave off 5 pounds by merely changing the stock, buttshock, and cutting off 2 inches of barrel.

To me both models are prone only guns. You are never going to use either off hand. So weight is not that much of an issue.

And I intend to take the brake off, so yeah, recoil management is an issue with a lighter gun.

Basic Member
    Basically the old 110 BA had a steel action and a steel barrel. Everything else is aluminum or plastic. All lightweight stuff. The major weight components are steel. So if you are going to shave off almost 30% of the gun's weight, it's going to have to be in large part in the action and barrel.

I think it is chassis. Had both sold 110 FCP. If you shave 2" and drop chassis weight you save a good bit. The balance on Stealth was better to me, as was looks and so far accuracy is better IMO. Really comes down to what stock you like.