Thread: EGW or Weaver base?

possum398

EGW or Weaver base?

Trying to decide which base to use for my new rifle. Narrowed it down to EGW or Weaver. Any suggestions?

Re: EGW or Weaver base?

If you want a 1pc weaver style base the EGW is hard to beat for the price. What gun are you putting it on?
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

possum398

I am putting it on a 112 vlp 25-06. I have a 6-20x50 or leupold that is going on the gun. I like the way both the egw and the 1 piece weaver tactical base look. Just wondering which is better.

Cycler

I'm not that familiar with the Weaver base but the EGW has a lot of lattitude for scope placement and that a big advantage. I have one on my Model 16 in 7mm-08 and it lets me put the scope (Leupold 2x7) exactly where I want it.

mopar440

egw base is great and solid great price they post on here and made in the usa see no reason to go with any thing else

possum1

I have both. EGW on a 111 and Weaver on a 200. I'll get the EGW for the 200 eventually. My opinion no comparison, go with the EGW well worth it.

possum398

Thanks for the replies. BTW both EGW and Weaver bases are made right here in the USA. That is part of the reason I was looking at both.

Team Savage

I have both.

EGW is a much better base.

The Weaver base has just slotted screws which I dont care for but it works.

vette45

I have the exact same question as the thread originator. I'm going to get one of these two on a 10FCP-K. Can those who have personal experience with both units elaborate on what exactly are the differences and pros/cons between these units?

Thanks.

Basic Member

EGW's are awesome. I was putting Farrells on my rifles then it started getting a little expensive, and you don't always need steel bases. Went with an EGW(s) and love them. Spend the extra couple of dollars and get the EGW versus the weaver. I got some weaver 2pc grand slam bases for a flat back action several years ago and the rear flat base was machined horribly. It wasn't flat it was canted at an angle sidways. Ended up putting Lightforce 2pc MOA bases on it, and have recently decided to get an EGW one piece MOA for it. I am sold!

+1 on the EGW, all my Savages have them.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Like EGW myself also is local for me nice ride to their office just call ahead stop by, then visit nephew who lives on other side of town

juliomorris

They are pretty much identical both give you plenty of leway for scope mounting both use hex or torx screws. I have both and use both regularly. To be honest their both the same unless one is made of better quality aluminum you wont know the difference. I have the weaver on my main hunting rifle which pretty much stays on my 4 wheeler rack and it never needs to be rezeroed which also says alot for Burris scopes. Save a little money buy the Weaver you won't be disappointed.