Thread: Receiver scope base threads bad, any others have the same issue

Basic Member

Receiver scope base threads bad, any others have the same issue

Just got my second Axis, on this one the blind receiver hole(closest to the muzzle end of the receiver) is bad as is one of the rear through holes. My first Axis "only" had the bad blind hole threads. Anyone else experience this? Had to buy a bottoming tap to chase the threads in the first blind hole so I have it for my new Axis, and had the tap for the through hole threads but its lame that something as basic as decent threads does not get checked by QC(they do have QC right? ).

thanks, Brian

Basic Member
    I had one hole in my 12FV with semi buggered threads. I was able to work the screw back and forth and actually it cleaned them up. With the machining that is required to produce an action an a barrel, I would think something as simple as cutting some threads in a hole would be a walk in the park. I do not understand how Savage manages to put out an action with bad threads. It is definitely a QC drop the ball issue. I am guessing their QC model tests only one in every so many, and assumes the rest are ok. Not a good QC model.

Central Kentucky - The Heart of the Bluegrass!
    I have seen this issue with several different manufacturers, not just Savage. I have bought some high dollar Encore and Contender barrels from custom shops and had to chase the threads before installing the scope base. I keep a set of bottom taps just for doing this and it's a good habit to chase the threads in all screw holes regardless of brand.
    NRA Life Member
    "get busy living, or get busy dying"

Basic Member
    Had to chase the same hole on my .223 Axis. Not sure if the hole was messed up from the start, or if they cross threaded the installed scope mount screw. With as crappy as their factory bore sighting is I wish they would just throw all the parts in a bag and let me mount them if I want to...

Basic Member
    I just picked up an Axis on sale at Cabelas a couple of weeks ago. I ordered some lightweight Talley one piece rings and bases and went to put them on Monday night. Well the screw hole closest to the barrel had grease in it, which wasn't a good sign.
    I picked most of it out with a toothpick and noticed metal filings too. So now I'm getting a really bad feeling since the other three holes look clean and the threads were sharp. I grabbed a can of air and shot a few bursts into it to clean out the gunk. Then I ran a screw into it and monkeyed with it to get it started and needed to use the allen wrench to get it going.
    I got maybe 4 turns before it bottomed out. I am guessing that the hole was about 3/16" deep where the two rear holes went through the receiver. With the base on I barely get 1/2 a turn on the screw once the base is snug so I am having some heartache over it. Glad I found this thread, or maybe not. I went to the Savage website and filled out a repair form two days ago and still am waiting on some feedback from them. So is that screw supposed to to go all the way through the receiver. Will they have me send it back to them for repair?
    Is this a 6-48 screw?

I've got 2 FV12's from Cabelas, one rifle had 2 or three holes buggered similar to WV1951, I ended up purchasing the dies to chase the threads, and determined that alot of the issue for mine were the black coating the factory applied to the barrel/action got in the threads as well, and prevented the screws from going in smoothly, or messed up the threads on the base screws. I had to order some additional screws from the scope base mfr to replace the damaged screws.

Stuff happens, it's frustrating when it does happen, but it does happen. People want accurate guns at a cheap price, but then we get upset when we have issues with the cheap guns. No win situation. LOL

Basic Member
    I expected a 7# trigger but this is the first gun at any price I have purchased since I began buying them in the mid 70's that had this problem. No excuse for it whether it's a $150 plinker or a Sendero.
    Going on three days and still no response from Savage. Sure I can go out and buy a bottom tap but if that doesn't do the trick I have to go to a smith which will add $$ to the cost of the tap or at any rate I can send it back and have them fix it after I spend money to ship it back and wait a few weeks to get it back. Loose/loose either way you slice it and money out of pocket.

Basic Member
    Call customer service, I had nothing but a good experience, on a used gun I bought.

Basic Member
    Follow-up. I went online and filled out repair request. After a few days of no contact I called and explained the situation. They send me a UPS label so I boxed it up and sent it in. A week after they received it and no contact I emailed them for a status update.
    The reply back said they were waiting on a replacement. Another 8 days goes by and I send an email. Nothing, so two days later I send another email asking for a tracking number when it ships back so I can be home to receive it. After a couple of more days I call and speak to the person in customer service who I have been getting emails from and I am told it shipped out a few days ago.
    I asked if I am getting a new rifle and am told no they redid the threads and put new bases on. Then I get an email with a tracking number so I work a few hours in the morning on Friday and go home to wait. It came UPS around noon. I open the box and sure enough it has new two piece weaver style bases, which I take off and put the talley one piece rings and bases on.
    I went to the range today and sighted it in, 1" at 50 yards when I ran out of ammo. Next chore will be to do something about the trigger, must be 7 pounds or so. I'll probably just replace it when I sell the Vanguard Youth S2 I bought a couple of years ago in the same caliber. Never could get used to the 2-stage trigger on it. Once I decide on a trigger I'll Frog Lube the barrel and receiver while I have it apart.

Basic Member
    I haven't had this problem but I also have never purchased an AXIS. Just remember that 100% QC Inspection at the factory costs money. Not something factories like to do when producing an "Economy" model. Spot checks are about all you get. The rest get's handled under Warranty, if and when problems arise.