I've been on this site for a couple of years now. Lot's of great advice and understanding shooters willing to help. I own two Savage rifles now and I've been disappointed with both.

The first is a Model 10 Trophy Hunter XP .223 that I bought in December of 2013. I expected that rifle to at least be accurate at 100 yards and found out quickly that was not the case. I sighted it in with 55gr fmj and after missing two easy shots at coyotes with 55 gr ballistic tips I found that the later as 1 1/2 inches high and 7 inches to the LEFT of the fmj rounds. The next year found me trying to unlock the secret of consistent accuracy with that barrel. It was within factory MOA spec at 100 yards but was lousy if anything was changed. I tried bullet weights, powder, charges, seating depth, primers, everything. Even had the action bedded and the barrel fully floated. Finally gave up and ordered a McGowan 26 inch varmint barrel with an 8 twist and that rifle came alive. It now can hit milk jugs at 840 yards but the original barrel was better used as a tomato stake. Last summer I took over 300 rock chucks with that gun and expect to duplicate that again this year.

The next rifle is a new one that I just bought. Stainless BTVSS in 22 WMR with the Boyds thumb hole stock. Shoots straight,,, when it goes off. Almost 50% misfires! Grrrrrrr. I sent an email to Savage week before last and have not heard from them so I called them last week and they wanted me to return the rifle to them. I asked if they could just send me a stiffer hammer spring for the bolt and the lady told me that I needed an FFL for that! I challenged her and she said that they could send me one but I would have to sign a waver to protect them. Really?

There is a Savage gunsmith within three hours of me who will install a stiffer spring and polish up the friction points in the bolt to eliminate the problem for the low cost of $57. I'm going to drive up to see him on Wednesday this week.

I will enjoy both of my guns but it burns me that I've had to have a gunsmith work on both to get them to shoot. As far as I'm concerned new Savage firearms are junk and I won't recommend one to anybody. Too bad, I thought they were supposed to be a great company.