2014 Savage 12FV 22-250 varmint barrel, barrel is not stainless.
So this gun likes to shoot dirty so I don't clean the gun for 100+ rds usually.
So I am now cleaning the barrel real well getting all of the copper out.
This gun has always shot very accurately and it isn't much off form normal.
While scoping the barrel I found the first 2" or so of the barrel (throat area) has surface cracking pretty good. The steel looks like a dried out clay lake bed where it has all cracked up in various shapes.
I use this gun for prairie dog shooting and will usually get through 50-70rds during a shoot over a 6 or 7 hr time frame. The barrel gets warm but I don't let it get too hot to touch.
This barrel has around 600-700 or so rounds through it. I roll my own and shoot IMR4064 at 34.0 grns which gives 3660 fps with Nosler Varmageddon 55gr pills.
I intentionally keep the fps down since the 22-250 is known to be such a barrel burner and I want to keep the barrel as long as possible. It just seems that 600-700 rds is too soon to have this sort of issue.
The rest of the barrel looks great...other than tool marks form the rifling process.
I have a couple SAKO's (30-06 and .308) from the late 60's that look brand new in the throat area. I understand the 22-250 could be hotter in the throat but this seems excessive.....Is it?
Question is is this of a concern? I am obviously concerned that is why I am asking. I have not sent a query off to Savage yet but will.
Wanted to get your alls opinion on this.

Thanks

Darrell