Thread: Thinking about a new 260 Rem

Banned

Thinking about a new 260 Rem

I'm thinking about a new 260 Rem for a hunting rifle. I want to be able to tote this gun around, so I don't want it too heavy. However, at the same time I want to be able to get good accuracy out of it at longer ranges.

I've narrowed it down to these three, what are y'all thoughts?

11 LW Hunter 20" bbl
    10 predator hunter 24" bbl
    11 LR Hunter 26" bbl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just stating the obvious. If you practice, all of them are long range capable for one or two shots. Some(Predator amd the LR) are better than the other (LWH). Toting around, the LWH wins.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I know there are people who have developed good loads for the Pencil barrels and that's on my list to try with a 270 this summer.

That said, I have run some of my known good reloads combos ones through an 06 and the 270 and failed. Forget which one, really does not matter. it would shoot the one to the left by an inch, then the next two side by side. Hunting wise you could split the difference for POA but .......

So off the shelf or even reloads, the better options is a heavy barrel and that puts it into the 10 PH with what I think is a Varmint Profile (with flutes I gather)

That would give you consistent target accuracy (not just long range) and you could shoot a long session with it. The pencil is going to heat up (LWH) and go wild after 5 rounds (that assumes you can make a load for it, highly unlikely in factory ammo)

Obviously if weight is the driving issue then the LWR but that looses the target shooting part.

LRH is both heavy and more awkward with the 26 inch barrel. Fine for bench work, certainly great for open hunting and or sit predator or hunting but not carry around.

you've got to go with a minimum length of 24" in the 260 to take advantage of the cartridge and heavy for caliber bullets. You're going to want to shoot those for extended ranges over 500+. I'm in the middle of building one myself, and went with a 25" so I could make it easier to carry for out foxing, coyotes, prairie dogs, antelope, and deer.

But I primarily want a long range target rifle first. I plan on shooting @ 1000 eventually. For velocities sake I may have wished I had gone with a 26".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    you've got to go with a minimum length of 24" in the 260 to take advantage of the cartridge and heavy for caliber bullets. You're going to want to shoot those for extended ranges over 500+. I'm in the middle of building one myself, and went with a 25" so I could make it easier to carry for out foxing, coyotes, prairie dogs, antelope, and deer.

But I primarily want a long range target rifle first. I plan on shooting @ 1000 eventually. For velocities sake I may have wished I had gone with a 26".
    Actually that is not true, the 260 Rem will do plenty well on velocity with a barrel shorter than 24". My 22" gun will run 140s at 2800 fps fairly accurately, and 130s at 2900 fps, under 1/2 moa. That's all with almost zero load development.

I'm actually thinking now of just investing in a McMillan Edge stock, and upgrading my optics, rather than a new rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slickyboyboo View Post
    Actually that is not true, the 260 Rem will do plenty well on velocity with a barrel shorter than 24". My 22" gun will run 140s at 2800 fps fairly accurately, and 130s at 2900 fps, under 1/2 moa. That's all with almost zero load development.
    After 2 years of research and reading about velocities guys are getting out of 24-28" 8 twist barrels, It is fantastic news to hear that I'll be able to get about 2875 FPS while shooting the 140s from a 25" barrel......

Basic Member
    I have a mdl 16 in 260, IIRC it's 7 lbs 9 oz with the sling, boyds thumb hole stock and a 30 mm tube Leupold scope. It's not what I call really accurate or I just haven't found the right load for it yet. Deer at 300 yards wouldn't be a problem but it wouldn't score well on a 600 yard target. As mentioned it gets hot in a hurry so I take other rifles If I'm planning on shooting without waiting a bunch.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post

Plenty of shooter's using 20" barrels on 260's shooting long range. My LR-260H has no problem reaching out there with a 20" barrel,and the new 260 AI Savage I just built with a 20" barrel shouldn't have any issues doing it either. I'm just fine with 2600-2700 fps shooting long range,I've never been a speed demon like some guy's!

schnyd112
    you will lose some speed going with the shorter barrel but it's not going to turn a viable bullet into a thrown pebble. I like heavier barrels if for nothing else than they increase your shots per hour ratio. I think a short, heavy barrel on a .260 would be a lot of fun but I am not about to cut 8" off of mine, yet. You could probably keep the weight close to 10lbs all decked out and still have a nice meaty barrel if you cut it short. There are plenty of good 120-130 grain bullets if you don't get the speed you want from 140's and most are better suited hunting bullets anyway.

If if you get the long one, you can always cut it off an inch at a time. If you get the noodle barrel, your only option is to replace if you don't like it, and probably the stock too if you wanted a heavier contour.