Thread: Savage 11 Scout

Savage 11 Scout

What do y'all think for the Savage 11 Scout? While searching on the Internet, I came across this discussion about how suck the scout concept is:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1037658

But I want to hear from your opinion. Reason why is that I have just bought a Savage 11 Scout. And I haven't went on a hunting trip yet but I am getting there into the game. This will do fine hunting would it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    It will be just fine... don't buy into all that internet stuff.

I just bought a custom 20 inch barrel in .243 to hunt with, and it is going to be just fine... Guys used 30/30 and carbines to great effect for years.

Basic Member
    It's your rifle not theirs. I have a MVP in .308 for my hunting purposes, just built a 6.8 SPC too. I would have bought the Savage if it was available at the time. Do what you planned on doing with it when you bought it.

I'm a fan of the concept.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    I've had a couple of "scout" setups - a pre-64 Win. 94 30-30 with the original scout scope mount (by Leupold), and a model 10 Savage scout in 7.62x39. I've hunted with both using long eye relief (9") scout scopes. If you can get used to the reduced field of view, shooting a rifle with a scout scope is actually quite pleasant. In fact, at the range I prefer the long eye relief scopes. But after taking a dozen or so animals (deer and pigs) with both rifles, I have abandoned the long eye relief scope idea for hunting applications. It just takes me too long to find the animal in the field, with a scout scope. The reduced field of view made me search too long for the animal in real world situations, so I opted for a 2-7x33 Luepold in a conventional mount for my model 10 and have been very happy with it since. My model 94 is back to wearing it's original irons, as it rarely gets used these days.

Your experience may vary however, and IMO, the Weaver 4X scout scope is absolute tops in the category of intermediate eye relief scopes. I enjoyed the one I had, and it now sits on my brother's .308 scout rifle. He loves it.

Just a question, is 33mm too small? Should 40mm be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk