Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 110 30-06 inquiry

Catfish676

Savage 110 30-06 inquiry

Howdy folks. I am a shiny new member as of today. I have been recently passed along a Savage 110 30-06 with serial number 149xxx. I have done some searching online and on this forum and can't seem to find an exact answer as to what the manufacture year of my rifle is. I have yet to actually call Savage. My rifle appears to be in great shape. My plan is to maximize this rifle for hunting purposes and I am completely open to any ideas or links to other threads describing preferred modifications. The first step (from what I can tell) is to see what exactly I have here. I can also add that the barrel only says "Model 110" (no letters after the 110). Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am looking forward to posting any and all mods I do to the rifle here for others to see/benefit. Happy to add photos to this thread as soon as I figure that process out. Thanks again.

Catfish676
    My apologies, the s/n on the barrel is actually 49xxx - just 5 digits. Thanks.

It was made sometime between 1958 and 1968, as in Nov. of 1968 they started using the letter prefix on the s/n to indicate those firearms that were produced after the Gun Control Act of 1968 went into effect.

If the rear sight is mounted on an enlarged bulge on the barrel, that tells us it was made between 1958 and 1966. 110's built in this time frame also have a different bolt-head and barrel breech design as shown in the following photos.

Pre-1966 style is on top, newer style on bottom

Pre-1966 style is on the left, new style is on the right.

Based on the limited s/n data I have on these early 110's, yours should fall somewhere in the late 1963 to early 1965 range. To narrow that down you will need to find the date stamp on the barrel which is a number and letter inside a circle (assuming it's the original barrel). The letter will indicate the year made.

P = 1963
    R = 1964
    S = 1965

Catfish676
    Thank you Mr. Furious. Great info. I believe my bolt is the top one (pre-1966). Working on posting some photos today. If this gun is pre-1966, I will be astonished. It does not look like it has been used much at all - hard to look at this gun and think that it is over 50 years old. More to follow and thanks very kindly.

Basic Member
    I have worked with an older 30-06 like yours. I proved to be very accurate. hope yours works out for you. Keep us posted

Catfish676
    Just tried posting photos in post above. I cant tell if it worked. Used simple copy/paste on iPad. So far, I am just seeing 7 empty white boxes where there should be photos.

Catfish676
    Can someone please assist me with this? Apparently, I am less intelligent than a caveman. Ive read the instructions for posting a photo which were written in 2012 and refer to getting a photobucket account, which I don't have, nor do I really want. Just want to simply post photos from my photo library on my iPad. Very simple I know - I must be missing something. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Basic Member
    What your missing is following the instructions regarding posting pictures.

Catfish676
    Well, I read the instructions that I could find here on posting photos dated in 2012 and it mentions needing a second membership to a photo service website and mentions Photobucket. I don't have a "Photobucket" account - is that really required just to post pictures? I just simply snapped some photos with my iPad and wanted to post them on this thread - nothing complex at all. Thanks very kindly to anyone who can give me some quick guidance for a simple way to post photos that are sitting in my photo library on my iPad just one click away.

Basic Member
    I hate to sound like a broken record (for those who remember those) but follow the instructions. The limiting factor is the web site design.

Basic Member
    I worked on one of the newer style. I replaced the factory .30-'06 barrel with a 22" skinny factory take-off .308 Win barrel from Northland Shooters Supply for $85. I diamond-lapped the barrel. The action was placed in an olive/black web Bell & Carlson Medalist stock from Stockys Stocks, and it was bedded with AcraGlas gel in the Savage fashion (float the rear tang, bed the front and lug). The photo I kept from the shooting test shows 5 shots from 100 yds. in 0.45" center-to-center. The original trigger with the blade that prevents movement in the setting is still on the rifle, and is too good to replace. Topped with a Bushnell 4-15 power scope.

Basic Member
    Catfish676

My earlier post did not read the way I intended them to read, didn't mean to sound like a a##.

Catfish676
    Ok I will proceed as instructed and get the photo service account and post the photos. My apologies, it just seems very cumbersome given current technology. I am very appreciative of the interest in this thread.

Basic Member
    You may have difficulty finding a barrel to fit this model as the bolt head is different than it's decendants... I got rid of a 110L because I could not get a barrel for that design. Savage doesn't keep the prints any more, and you would have to have one custom made..$$$$

Cant you replace the old bolt with a modern one?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Catfish676

Finally - The Revelation (I hope)

[/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Cant you replace the old bolt with a modern one?
    I honestly don't know, I looked into keeping the receiver to start a build, and had a couple of people answer that the barrel ends are different, and one has a recess cut for the bolt. Since it would require me to replace both the bolt AND the receiver, I gave up. I never looked into whether it could be done.. only that it would cost more than a shiny new FCP..

Catfish676
    Quote Originally Posted by mbohuntr View Post
    You may have difficulty finding a barrel to fit this model as the bolt head is different than it's decendants... I got rid of a 110L because I could not get a barrel for that design. Savage doesn't keep the prints any more, and you would have to have one custom made..$$$$
    This is useful data. I'd love to hear more on this. I'm willing to spend some $$$ on this gun for upgrades if you guys as experts feel like it would be worth it. Or perhaps the expert consensus is to just leave it as-is. For the record, I have not shot it yet. Just tried to add photos again - maybe it worked. Thanks kindly folks.

Basic Member
    She's a beauty!

Catfish676
    The one thing that I immediately wanted to do when I took possession is replace the stock and optic. Both are in nice shape, but so dated.

Catfish676
    Quote Originally Posted by mbohuntr View Post
    She's a beauty!
    Thanks. Photos worked finally!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish676 View Post
    This is useful data. I'd love to hear more on this. I'm willing to spend some $$$ on this gun for upgrades if you guys as experts feel like it would be worth it. Or perhaps the expert consensus is to just leave it as-is. For the record, I have not shot it yet. Just tried to add photos again - maybe it worked. Thanks kindly folks.
    A custom barrel maker might be able to make you one, Mine was a beater owned by an Alaskan guide. She had seen better days, and needed a lot of TLC.. I just wanted a shooter...

Catfish676
    Thanks. I look forward to hearing what you guys think I have here after seeing the photos. Happy to take others if needed for better analysis. Right off the bat I'm thinking updating the stock and optic at a minimum, but would greatly appreciate any other modification advice. Not a precision shooter here, but I am mainly a hunter and that would be primary use for this rifle. Please don't hesitate to tell me if you think I just have a nice wall-hanger too. Thanks to all.

Catfish676
    I wanted to add that I am not a reloader if that matters to anyone suggesting a barrel change - which I am definitely open to. Just probably not to something so arcane that production ammo is hard to find. Comfortable shooting out to probably 400yds max. Mostly varmints, pigs, deer - medium sized game. Thanks.

Catfish676
    A good combo of manageable recoil, flat to 300yds or so and good velocity would be great. I have two rifles in 25-06 so that would be an option since I am already buying that ammo. Have read few good articles talking about the 6.5-06. Not sure if that would be just a barrel change though.

There was a similar inquiry on another site and one of the responses was:

"Given that the 30-06' is the very balanced middle ground for that case head size, to make the switch worth the effort you will need to swing to one of the ends of the spectrum. Personally I would limit myself to commercial offerings just toimit the expense of dies, trimmers, etc.

So at the small end that gives 25-06, which with 75 grain bullets can be a strong varmint choice and a solid big game choice with 120 grainers. At the other end is the 35 Whelen. Not a varmint round, but with 250-275 grain bullets it will handle large game and small dinosaurs. It also makes a really fun platform for shooting cast bullets."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast