Thread: Timmy trigger - not too impressed

Basic Member

Timmy trigger - not too impressed

First off this may be entirely my fault, although I'm not as dumb as I seem.

So decided I wanted to try a Timney in my 12FV. Got one on sale and it arrived today.

Instructions are pretty straightforward. Got it in and started adjusting pull weight. Had it set fairly light and it had a tendency to slam fire. Set it a little stiffer, adjusted safety sear, all good. Still would slam fire if I really jammed the bolt hard but decided maybe it was because the action was exposed.

Put the stock back on and now the safety won't engage/disengage. Take the stock off, verify the sear is set properly, verify safety works and adjustment is set properly, everything seems to be good, put stock back on, no movement of safety.....Keep in mind I've been playing with this for a while now and I'm pissed. Tried adjusting everything a little stiffer, all specs out, put it in the stock, safety still won't move. Now I'm over it.

Put the accutrigger back on and everything works great. I even decided that other than disliking the initial trigger "safety" mechanism it's actually a pretty nice trigger. I have it set as light as it will go which is supposed to be 1.5 lbs and it's growing on me.

So am I missing something or is the Timney a $90 waste of money for the 12FV accutrigger? I have to believe I may be missing something with all the rave reviews Timmy's get, but I'm not convinced the Timney is a huge improvement over the 12FV accutrigger at this point.

Basic Member
    sounds like the trigger is touching the stock
    You might need to relieve some stock material at the back of the trigger area

Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    sounds like the trigger is touching the stock
    You might need to relieve some stock material at the back of the trigger area
    Had to do that with one Timney. Actually with mine the upper part of the sear was touching the stock. Had to Dremel off some of the stock to make it work.
    I don't know if the Timney is better than the Accutrigger but I don't like the blade on the Accutrigger so the Timney was better for me.

Basic Member
    I don't mind the accu-trigger at all. Never been impressed with run of the mill Timmey. I have one of their Calvins in a custom. It's nice but starting to creep.

Sav2 or SSS

Basic Member
    By chance, does the Timney have a significantly cleaner and crisper break than the accutrigger?

I like the accutrigger in general (ordered a second savage w it, supposed to hit the FFL today).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L11.11 View Post
    By chance, does the Timney have a significantly cleaner and crisper break than the accutrigger?

I like the accutrigger in general (ordered a second savage w it, supposed to hit the FFL today).

To be honest I didn't notice a cleaner or crisper break with the Timney vs the Accutrigger. Other than the mildly annoying safety trigger aspect of the Accutrigger, I couldn't tell the difference between the two triggers. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to make it work and the extra expense so I returned it.

Basic Member
    I had all kinds of fun adjusting my Timney. Problems similar to yours. It turns out that the "problem" was from the sear engagement adjustment and the trigger overtravel. I could not set the engagement to what the instructions stated. I had to back it off or it would "fire" when the bolt was closed.

Basic Member
    Hmmm well to me the benefit of the Timney...at least on paper...is making the sear engagement smaller. But yea makes perfect sense that that would lead to the striker going off when you lock the bolt..if sear engagement is too small.

Thanks for yalls input.

On my accu trigger, I may take a dremel buff wheel and polish to the flat face tip of the sear (the part that slides up against the shelf sear interface on the trigger) and of course just leave the sear interface on trigger completely alone. I don't expect that to really accomplish much but I may do it for kicks.

I may snip 1 or 1-1/2 coils off the trigger spring or chamfer the hole it sits in so the trigger spring sits a lil lower. It's already pretty light. If I mess it up, I'll use it as an excuse to buy one of the $7 target springs that get you down to 1.5lbs.

Also, may put a ballpoint pen spring on the lil blade to lighten that up only bc I too find it annoying.

Just tinkering, I'm sure I'll screw it up and then have to fix it. Lol lessons learned.

Again thanks for the input.

Like to procure a Timney trigger for one of Model 700's...It needs it badly..
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

I had problems with the front screw on my Timney hanging up on my stainless steel trigger guard because of a long screw and the lock nut. I had to drill/grind a depression in the top of my trigger guard for that screw to clear and now it works great.

Basic Member
    To me the Timney is about as good as the accutrigger. I don't think I would spend the money to swap out an accutrigger, but it makes a non-accutrigger Axis a much better shooter.

The 7$ spring does work but now the sear drops every time unless I close the bolt ever so gently. Guess I'll have to increase pull weight but that seems sorta counter productive.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

I have a timney on a non-accutrigger savage and it works nicely.

Had to adjust the sear engagement a little and can't go below 1.7 lbs or it might slam fire when slapping the bolt closed. Slapping the bolt closed is how I test for slam fires.

The safety is very easy to adjust. At least it was on mine. There must be something else going on that's messing with it.

Basic Member

Timmy trigger - not too impressed

Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    Like to procure a Timney trigger for one of Model 700's...It needs it badly..
    I just got a Calvin Elite for a 30-338 build. It's just OK, very creepy if it's set up over 8-10oz. They say not to adjust the sear engagement right on the installation directions. Challenge accepted. Problem is if you adjust the creep out the safety doesn't work.

Point being is don't get a Calvin Elite if you like a heavier trigger.