Thread: Savage 11 Long Range Hunter .308 accuracy?

Dakotabaker98

Savage 11 Long Range Hunter .308 accuracy?

I was at my local gun store today and found a Savage model 11 LRH in .308. it was marked at $729. Seeing that the price was way low i asked the owner of the shop why it was so cheap. After looking up the price he realised he had marked it wrong and told me if i wanted it he would sell it to me for the $729 price it was marked at. He put it in the back and said he will hold it for me until friday while i do my research and if i decide i dont want it to give him a call and he would put it back on the shelf. So my question is how accurate are these rifles with not having a bull barrel? Will it be capable of 600 yard shots on Texas Whitetail with good glass? I have a Sightron SIII i would put on top with a 20 MOA Base and some steel rings! Is there any aftermarket stock support? I noticed the barrel contacting the stock just slightly at the end of the stock which i can sand out no problem im sure. Also, do you think the gun is worth the buy at $729? Thanks in advance for any and all input!

I've got a model 11 LRH in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has a very smooth action with bottom bolt release. I really like the hinged floor plate magazine but could do without the muzzle brake that will quickly stick in whatever position you fire it in.

Mine is VERY accurate for a factory barrel, accurate enough I haven't re barreled it to lose the brake. I would think 600 yard shots with the heavier bullets a .308 would shoot would be no problem on a whitetail. Stocks are plentiful but I took my knife and shaved out the barrel channel at the fore end then pulled the butt pad and filled the hollow butt with plumbers putty to balance out the heavy muzzle. It's a shooter!

dls1234
    I have a Savage Model 11 Long Range Hunter, 6.5 Creedmoor, Accustock and Accutrigger. I have found it to be a very find versatile rifle and accurate enough for Long Range Bench rest Shooting up to 1000 yards. I shoot in Marksmanship Matches where the targets are placed from 100 to 750 Yards. All targets are 2 MOA in Size. The last match required 20 Shots – 2 shots at 100 Yards, 5-shots 600 Yard on 12 inch swinger, 5-shots at 750 Yard Silhouette, 5-shots at 600 Silhouette and final 3-shots at 100 yard 2 inch target. I was able to hit every target. I frequently shoot Hornady 140 Gr Match or Winchester 140 Gr HPBT Match. The Hornady 140 Gr Match has velocity of 2,750 fps and the Winchester 140 Gr HPBT Match has velocity of 2800 fps out of my rifle. At 1,000 Yards, 8.2 Mils is needed. I consistently hit 1-2 MOA at 1000 yards. At my range, the wind is from 5-10+ mph, reading the wind is an important factor for hitting long range targets

If you want to have anything close to an ethical kill at 600 look at the 300 win mag with at least a 180 grain bullet. Hitting the target is not the task, Bringing the animal home and not having coyotes eat it alive is.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Wow, that is a very good price. Yes the gun should be more than capable of 3/4 MOA.

If you can actually shoot the MOA the gun can and what you are aiming at 600 yds under field conditions, then its very adequate for deer at that range

The chart does not come over well, but its 1000 ft lbs or more at 600 yds or more with the following bullets and starting muzzle velocity

.308 Win.
    150 Gr. 2820 fps 600 Yards (getting a tad iffy with the 150)

165 Gr. 2700 fps (a bit more insurance)
    625 Yards

180 Gr. 2620 fps (very good, 175 grain would do well )
    775 Yards

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotabaker98 View Post
    1) So my question is how accurate are these rifles with not having a bull barrel?
    2) Will it be capable of 600 yard shots on Texas Whitetail with good glass?
    3) I have a Sightron SIII i would put on top with a 20 MOA Base and some steel rings!
    4) Is there any aftermarket stock support?
    5) I noticed the barrel contacting the stock just slightly at the end of the stock which i can sand out no problem im sure.
    6) Also, do you think the gun is worth the buy at $729?
    1) They are like people, everyone is different; so there is no blanket answer.
    2) Glass isn't related to accuracy of the rifle, that relates to you. But I would expect it to be.
    3) Don't need a canted base for something that close, but you should be set.
    4) look at your favorite place, should be.
    5) They all do, tupperware stocks stink, always have.
    6) Not to me, Savages are still $350 guns. If they up'd their quality then yes.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Banned
    I had forgotten, the LRH deliberately has a pressure point at the front of the stock.

No I don't know why, its advertised as free floating, but they have their own definition in that case (call it alternate facts)

I would not remove it until I shot it. If it won't shoot accurately then think about it. Once you remove it its gone and it would take some work to put back right.

You might talk to Boyds and see how they handle (what they offer) for an LRH.

They tend to have a reason for what they do.