Thread: Help please/ need long range data please

358Hammer

Help please/ need long range data please

I know absolutely nothing about ballistics programs. When shooting long range it has always been about minutes and BC's and I really haven't a clue how to work or where to use programs.

308197SP204 .824 197 12.8 46.4 1.82 25.3 0.99 All .308 calibres, subject to twist rate
    The above data is from the GS bullet company data sheet. Reading it we have a 308 caliber 197gr bullet with a BC of .824. I am also working with a 1. BC bullet. If these bullets are traveling at 2950 and they are, from a stock 300 Win Mag and a 26" barrel.

What is the maximum range supersonic?
    What is the energy at 1000 yards?
    What does the program say is the minutes at 1000 yards? Trial and error I actually know this one. I just want to know if a computer program will come close to telling me what is know through testing.

The 1. BC 30 caliber bullet is made in Idaho and 3 of us are working very hard trying to talk the creator into making them in volume.
    He also makes the highest BC 238 grain 338 bullet in existance.
    Neal

KRP

Re: Help please/ need long range data please

You need more info, atmospheric conditions/zero range/sight height/bullet weight/etc..

bodywerks

Are these lathe-turned brass bullets or something? Those sound like highly optimistic BC's.
    A TON of factors come into play when calculating bullet trajectory, especially for 1000 yards. But to get in the ballpark you need at least bullet weight, bullet BC, muzzle velocity, and density altitude where you plan to shoot.
    There is definitely some confusing stuff with ballistics calculators, but unless you're trying to hit a clay pigeon at 1000 yards first shot cold bore you don't need to input values for every little variable.
    I did a quick input of the data you gave me into this free ballistics online calculator:
    http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
    At sealevel, no wind, it shows that you need 22.4 moa of elevation, and at about 1907fps and 1588lb/ft. Of energy at that distance. Like I said, a couple more pieces of info (wind, direction, and altitude) and it'll get you even closer.

Nefarioud

+1 on JBM. It can be as complicated or as simple as you like

82boy

Try the program on the berger web site. It is free and simple.

All you need is plug in the numbers, and you can get come up in Inches, MOA, or MILs.

Galveston22

.824 BC only applies while it is traveling at 3300+ fps and I dont think a .300 WM can even get close to that.

[img width=496 height=450]http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/968/55234886.jpg[/img]

358Hammer

Thank you very much- Moa is quite close.

Both bullets are CNC turned (one at a time) from brass.

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/techdata.html This company makes the highest BC hunting bullet I have ever seen. When checking the website look at the data for the HV bullets as well. These hunting bullets are extremely accurate in my experience. I have used them in several calibers. Combining quality, great initual BC's and a Nitrided barrel, some very exciting experiences can be had.

I have found over the years when comparing cartridges to take the best bullet that one can find for any particuler application when comparing cartridges. Bullet weight and diameter mean something to me when hunting dangerous game. Personally I won't shoot a game animal at a range that requires a BC in these ranges. Since I live and work around very large nasty bears, every day out is an excercise in possible knockdown plus bullet preformance. I have not been made aware of anyone choosing a 6.5 or 7MM anything when planning a Brown bear hunt. I do not choose to be armed with one at the accidental moment of truth. I have had several of those moments over the years and the only thing I know for sure is, " there isn't such a thing as too much power and BC doesn't mean a thing".

Galveston:

I once said those exact words to a guy that first told me about the GS bullets. Then I got a box of bullets. Then a got some more and in different calibers. Just because typical experience says it is not possible doesn't mean it isn't true! Once I thought I knew everything there was possible to know about my 300 Mag including every quality bullet in existance. The I ran across someone who had been shooting these bullets for sometime. There are some really smart people out there and judging a book by it's cover has never been a good way to go. One might miss something.
    Neal

Ray Gunter

Well if you have a 308 197 grain with .824 BC

1000 yrd ..... 1712 ft lbs
    2400 yrd ..... 1088 fps

this was calculated at 500 ft Altitude. Which will have a large effect on figures as you get higher for instance at 10,000 ft velocity at 2400 yrds is still 1511

Galveston22

Quote Originally Posted by 358Hammer

Galveston:

I once said those exact words to a guy that first told me about the GS bullets. Then I got a box of bullets. Then a got some more and in different calibers. Just because typical experience says it is not possible doesn't mean it isn't true! Once I thought I knew everything there was possible to know about my 300 Mag including every quality bullet in existance. The I ran across someone who had been shooting these bullets for sometime. There are some really smart people out there and judging a book by it's cover has never been a good way to go. One might miss something.
    Neal
    Hornady's Superformance ammo which is the fastest you will likely find with a 180 grain bullet is 3130fps. How do you plan to get more velocity from a heavier bullet? When the bullet drops below 3300fps it no longer has BC of .824 (info straight from the manufacturer.)