Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do the Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile cost so little?

Snowwolfe

Why do the Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile cost so little?

Just picked up a NIB Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile left hand in .204 Ruger and 22-250 on Gunbrokers for $525 each. Accutrigger, laminated stock, fluted 26 inch barrel and internal magazine . Did Savage drop the price on these? Special run? Never seen them priced that low to be honest

Basic Member

Re: Why do the Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile cost so little?

Maybe the seller just wanted to dump the LH models he had ??
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

glockeyed

yeah, you won't see RH at that price. thats what i was looking for. i almost bought a LH with plans to later convert it it would have cost about the same as a RH.

Basic Member

I know the older LH VLP's could only get the slower twist in 22-250. My brother is LH and could only get the one twist etc.

Wish they were that cheap down here in aussieland.

Ryan

Or in Canada .....

Basic Member

Are the model 12 rifles better/more expensive than model 10 rifles?

Snowwolfe

It seemed like it was to good to be true. But no one else even bid on the rifles except for me. Seller stated they were a limited production run by savage and newly made:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=184861244

Seller did not know the rate of twist for the .204 but most likely it is 1-12. He did state the rate of twist for the 22-250 was 1-12. Should turn out to be a couple of fun winter projects. First though is to have the barrels cut to 22-23 but will see how they shoot first.

cutting the barrels down make not look too good cause you will be cutting into the fluted part of the barrel.

Dont know what they have that would make them a limited production run, as they sound like they are just like all the others. Guess cause it is LH. Very nice deals you got for sure. Stop into a Cabelas and see how much they are raping people for them...

Northlander was selling some a while back for 550.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Nefarioud

Same dude sold a bunch of 12vss's in 300 win mag. seems to be a good guy and has a good supplier.

AVanGorder

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
    Just picked up a NIB Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile left hand in .204 Ruger and 22-250 on Gunbrokers for $525 each. Accutrigger, laminated stock, fluted 26 inch barrel and internal magazine . Did Savage drop the price on these? Special run? Never seen them priced that low to be honest
    Let me know if you ever see good deals on Left Handed rifles.

Adrian

TnTom

GOOD BUY About $225.00 under wholesale there is no price difference L/H or R/H. GOOD BUY. Re-chamber (.204AI ???) glass bed and go to town, throw on a Weaver T24 and still resell it for a good profit.

Snowwolfe

As far as I know seller still had the same rifle in .223 for the same price as I passed on it. You may want to contact him thru Gunbrokers.

TnTom

Do you have the rifle? I have a 12BVSS R/H just finished bedding it but havent shot it since. Waited 2 weeks for the bedding to cure. It was shooting pretty good before. I need to send it out if I like how it shoots after bedding and rechamber as a .223 AI.

What is the logic in shortening the barrel?

King Ghidora

It depends on what you see as better but for the most part the answer is yes to both questions. The 12's all have the target AT for one thing. They're heavier rifles and they're usually target or varmint rifles. But if you want a hunting rifle the 10 is probably a better choice unless you're Arnold before the muscle turned to flab.

I have a 110 and a 12 LRPV and IMO the 12 is a much better rifle in every way except weight and price. They are certainly heavy and you pay for that weight too. There are some very nice 10's out there though and lots of people prefer to buy a 10 and build it up the way they want it. They say they will get a better rifle for less money that the 12's.

Snowwolfe

I dont have the rifles yet. Just mailed in payment yesterday. Shortening the barrel makes them stiffer. It usually makes them more accurate as a result, but not always. But in my experience it never makes them less accurate provided they are recrowned correctly. Recently picked up a right hand 12 LRPV DBM in 6mm Norma Benchrest as well. I find it easy to use a right hand action from the bench.
    All are going to be winter projects to keep me from getting bored:)

Don't these varmint models have a different Accutrigger that breaks at a lighter weight than the standard trigger? How light can they go?

Quote Originally Posted by King Ghidora
    It depends on what you see as better but for the most part the answer is yes to both questions. The 12's all have the target AT for one thing. They're heavier rifles and they're usually target or varmint rifles. But if you want a hunting rifle the 10 is probably a better choice unless you're Arnold before the muscle turned to flab.

I have a 110 and a 12 LRPV and IMO the 12 is a much better rifle in every way except weight and price. They are certainly heavy and you pay for that weight too. There are some very nice 10's out there though and lots of people prefer to buy a 10 and build it up the way they want it. They say they will get a better rifle for less money that the 12's.
    Not all Model 12's have the Target action, only those listed under "Target Rifle Series" on the Savage website have the target actions. The Model 12 Varmint Series has the regular action the same as the 10's, 11's, 14's and 16's.

Also, it depends on what Model 10 you're comparing the Model 12 to. Remember that the Law Enforcement Series rifles are also Model 10's, as are the Predator Series rifles. The price difference is dictated by features (heavy barrel, standard, varmint or target trigger, stock type and material, etc.).

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

Nice Score !!!

Basic Member

I could be wrong but I think the 12's even though they aren't the target actions have accu-triggers that have lower pull weights than the one's on the standard hunting models. They're still not as light as the target accu-trigger but kinda in between them and the standard trigger.

Pete K.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
    I dont have the rifles yet. Just mailed in payment yesterday. Shortening the barrel makes them stiffer. It usually makes them more accurate as a result, but not always. But in my experience it never makes them less accurate provided they are recrowned correctly. Recently picked up a right hand 12 LRPV DBM in 6mm Norma Benchrest as well. I find it easy to use a right hand action from the bench.
    All are going to be winter projects to keep me from getting bored:)

Don't these varmint models have a different Accutrigger that breaks at a lighter weight than the standard trigger? How light can they go?
    Snowwolfe,

Your statement; Shortening the barrel makes them stiffer. It usually makes them more accurate as a result, but not always. But in my experience it never makes them less accurate provided they are recrowned.

My VLP barrel measures .920" one inch in from the crown. That is thick. How stiff do you think it needs to be? The 11 degree target crown from the factory is terrific so why mess with it. Also you will be messing with the flutes and it will not look right as stated. This is a heavy rifle close to 13 lbs with scope and is great for bench rest or target shooting or critters from a portable bench. If you need a fast pointing carry gun look at something else.
    Just my thoughts as I don't carry hunt with my VLP. It is darn accurate off a solid bench with a good rest though.

Pete K.

Snowwolfe

I was just answering the posters questions about shortening.

If I decide to shorten it at some later date it would be mostly to make it lighter:). Even considering dropping it into a McMillan stock so it would be almost bearable to carry in the fields. But you make a valid point, the barrel is already pretty thick.

King Ghidora

Not all Model 12's have the Target action, only those listed under "Target Rifle Series" on the Savage website have the target actions. The Model 12 Varmint Series has the regular action the same as the 10's, 11's, 14's and 16's.
    According to the Savage catalog, "The 12 LRPV is available in a standard repeater configuration and in two different single-shot configurations: right-bolt, left-port and left-load, right-eject dual port (see page 7). These single shots also come with the Target AccuTrigger, which is adjustable all the way down to an astounding 6 oz." So the single shot LRPV's do have the Target AccuTrigger.

The reason I said all Model 12's have the target trigger is because of this article which says, "All Model 12s come with Savage’s Target AccuTrigger, which is user-adjustable down to 6 ounces." Apparently that is bad information.

But it isn't just the Target series that gets the Target AccuTrigger. The single shot LRPV's have the Target trigger also according to the catalog. I know they have it because I have a single shot, left eject LRPV and it certainly goes down to below 1 lb.. It's the red blade trigger which clearly indicates it is the Target model. When I first got this rifle someone had apparently done something to the trigger to make it even lighter because I adjusted it up and now I can't get it as light as it was at first. That's really not a bad thing since it was really too light at first. As soon as I touched the trigger it fired and that's just too low. Now I can lay my finger on the trigger and decide when to shoot it.

I've actually seen other articles that claim all the Model 12's have the Target trigger too. But as often happens people get the story wrong.

As for comparing the 10 series to the 12 series I thought I made it clear that it depended on what you think makes for a better rifle. I said the 12 was considered better because it had the heavier parts but that it isn't the best rifle for many purposes. I said that in my first post. I wouldn't want to lug my LRPV around to hunt with. My 110 is a far better gun for that purpose. In fact for most purposes the 12 LRPV isn't suitable. Other than varmint shooting and target shooting it really isn't that useful. I bought it for target shooting mostly. I already had a hunting rifle in the 110. Still it's hard not to say the LRPV is a superior rifle when I can shoot quarter size groups at 300 yards with it and I haven't really practiced with it much yet.

Snowwolfe

Rifles came in and they have the standard accutrigger. But the same vendor on gunbrokers has the 22-250's for the same price if anyone is interested.

My VLP 243 is one accurate gun!!!!!!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

SavyShooter

"The centerfire AccuTrigger has a minimum trigger pull of approximately 2.5 to 3.25 pounds on sporter barrels, 1.5 to 2.25 pounds on varmint and heavy barrels. Selected Target Models may be equipped with an 8 to 10 ounce trigger. The rimfire firearms are now available with an AccuTrigger that is adjustable down to approximately 2.5 pounds."

Harley059

I bought a BVLP in .204 Ruger about six months ago for lest than 5C but couldn't get it on paper at 50 yards. Sent it back to the factory and they put a new barrel on it and got it back to me in less than 4 weeks (to late for my trip to SD) but now I can shoot 3 shots in .261. I still consider it a good deal. The only thing I don't like about it is you need to load the rounds in the magazine before it will feed into the barrel. Another thing... it would jam the bullet when it started up the ramp from the magazine... hollow points were about 100% jam. I had to polish the feed ramp to mirror finish to fix the problem but now there is no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast