Thread: Axis stock improvements (Rockite, bedding, etc)

madmanmarz

Axis stock improvements (Rockite, bedding, etc)

Just ordered one of these https://www.slickguns.com/product/sa...k-finish-33839 (Axis II 308, 22" heavy barrel). I am reading that the stock is a weak point. I thought about ordering a Boyd's but then I'd still have to bed it and what not.

I'm gonna go ahead and rockite the stock forend. Are you guys who've done this also bedding the action? I did this once before on an old Savage 110 with JB weld and it definitely improved the accuracy, but is it needed on these (I hear they have sleeves that act as pillars)?

Thanks
    Edit: Few pics for yall, sorry bout the quality

safer org

Basic Member
    I didn't bed the action and got excellent accuracy. I would replace the stock action screws because they will strip easily. You may want to open up the barrel channel a little more. With the upgraded action screws I did torque to a higher level similar to an aluminum bedded stock. I tighten the front action screw first. If you replace the screws, make sure the front doesn't touch the bolt. I tried to balance the weight of the rockite in the forearm and butt stock area. It stiffens the grip area significantly.

madmanmarz
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew44 View Post
    I didn't bed the action and got excellent accuracy. I would replace the stock action screws because they will strip easily. You may want to open up the barrel channel a little more. With the upgraded action screws I did torque to a higher level similar to an aluminum bedded stock. I tighten the front action screw first. If you replace the screws, make sure the front doesn't touch the bolt. I tried to balance the weight of the rockite in the forearm and butt stock area. It stiffens the grip area significantly.

Great advice thanks. Did you just buy better screws for the action or is there a place that sells them specifically?

Basic Member
    BoltDepot.com has the socket cap 18-8,1/4"-28 stainless bolts. I used 3/4" for the front and 1 1/2" for the rear. You may have to take a little off the front bolt because it will make contact with the bolt.

Basic Member
    The barrel is free floated on the Axis - I rest the forend on a sand bag - I have no problems with the factory stock - you will run into issues if you use a bipod and lean into your shots

madmanmarz
    Quote Originally Posted by ivob View Post
    The barrel is free flokated on the Axis - I rest the forend on a sand bag - I have no problems with the factory stock - you will run into issues if you use a bipod and lean into your shots
    Lol I definitely intend to setup that way. I'll probably end up bedding and rockite. Will I need to take off some material out of the forend under the barrel?

Basic Member
    I have 2 Axis 1 in 308 and the other in 243 I rocktited both as I didnt much care for the weight that the Boyds added to the 308.. If your gonna do a bipod what I did was to mount a stud back towards the Magazine well on both as it helped with the balance and its closer to the grip and allows you to ride up and load the bipod.. put the stud in before adding the rocktite so once its in its in...

madmanmarz

Did the rockite thing (had an old can of random hydraulic cement in the garage) . Drilled some holes to lighten it up. Rockite in the buttstock too, used a paper towel roll wrapped in duct tape for a cavity to make it lighter. Filled that and the drilled holes with silicone in hopes of reducing harmonic vibrations, dust etc.

Overall much stiffer but much heavier. Would recommend to others not to fill the rockite all the way to the top of ribs. Shouldn't really be a need to.

Last thing I'd like to do is figure out a 10 round mag for her that ain't $100, and bed depending how she shoots.

Basic Member
    All my Axis' are in Boyd's stocks, but I have a Ruger American .233 with the plastic stock. I tried to bed it with JB Weld and had a hell of a time getting it to stick where the receiver meets the sides of the stock. It's easy enough to still out some sections in the fore barrel/lug section to get it to stay put. So not sure if the Axis plastic would be the same, but I bet it is. It's like they coated it in teflon ;-)