Barrel length 26”
    Twist 1:7
    Single Shot
    21.5 grains of powder to 22.0 grains of powder
    Use 21.5 grains in case
    CCI Primers 400#
    Remington Case cut down to 1.749 length
    Bullet 80gr. VLD

If case is cut to 1.750 length, the bolt does not move forward and or the bolt handle does not close down. I cut the case to 1.749 length or 1.748, the 1.749 works.

The O.A.L.

Then I put the primer in the case then the 21.5 grains and or up to 22.0 grains in the case. Now what is the right bullet seating depth for the 1:7” twist and with the 26” barrel length.

Need help
    Send pictures on how to do this
    Pictures are optional

Please send info soon to
    househomecar@hotmail.com
    Thank you

KRP

Re: What is the O.A.L. for model 12

The "right" seating depth depends on the rifle/bullet/load/etc.. Shoot what works the best and/or fits the application. It sounds like you are in over your head here so be careful.

Nefarioud

As far as "right" ? Dunno

Berger suggests seating the bullet to the lands and backing out in .010 increments and watch the groups they told me people are getting as far out as .120 and having great results.

are you using a O.A.L gauge like the hornady?

The case length thing sounds strange. Are the cases new, full length sized? from the same gun? In my experience the shoulder usually stops the bolt not the neck as the cases head space on the datum line.

Where are you getting your data? A good long look at any reloading manual should help you sort through this.

Basic Member

What Cal? every cal has a different OAL and just about every rifle has a different oal that works well. Need to know the Caliber to say what the SAAMI OAL should be.

Ryan

racinready300ex

Before I got a OAL gauge, I would use a crayon on the bullet. Set the depth so the rifling would scrape the wax off with out leaving marks on the bullet.

dcloco

Paint your bullet with a black sharpie, let it dry, and look for the contact points with the lands and bullet.

flatshooter

I wouldn't concern myself with the chamber length.. that is what you mean, correct? If you have a Lee collect neck sizer, partially size the case and load a bullet so you can load and pull the bullet by hand. Load cartridge into the chamber and measure COAL. Back it off until it shoots good groups. Make sure they function in the magazine.

Team Savage

I think you need to hook up with somebody that can show you how to reload.

There is no proper COL for a 1:7 twist 26" barrel. It does not work that way.

Either you load them by the manual to sammi lengths to run through a magazine
    or you load them long over sammi length to either jump or jam the bullet in the rifling
    and you have to single load the cartridges, IE they will not fit in the magazine..

That allows you to tune the accuracy to some degree along with a lot of other things.

Assuming you are loading 223 1.76" is the max case length and 1.75 is the trim length so something does not sound right.

The max sammi COL for the 223 is 2.25"

Quickshot

Peteras, Please run don't walk to the nearest shooters supply store you can find. Purchase any good quality reloading manual and set down and study it for several days before you touch another round. We probably would never know here if something terrible like you blowing your head off ever happened but we all who responded here will surely feel better knowing that you went and picked up a manual. Good luck and be safe, Quick

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.