Thread: need advice

wicat3

need advice

Hey everyone,

So I had plans to buy a new hunting rifle once I got my taxes back and had been looking at the savage 11/111 or 10/110. Unfortunatley it looks like I ont be getting back as much as I thought and wont be able to afford a new rifle. I have two choices in mind. First option is to keep my savage axis and just perform upgrades to it. Second option would be sell the axis and buy a used 110/10 for around 300 dollars or so. What does everyone think if theywere in my shoes?

Which AXIS do you have? What are you wanting to upgrade to? $300.00, it's going to be tough to find a quality rifle at this price, but if you sell your AXIS there could be a good chance you will find what your looking for.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

wicat3
    I have the standard axis with camo stock and all weather barrel. I have found used savages for around 300, mostly 30-06 110 e rifles.

Basic Member
    If I had to pick between an Axis or 110, I would pick the 110. If however I already owned an Axis I would improve the trigger and replace the stock (if synthetic) with a Boyd's stock and shoot it. Plenty of tricks on th Axis page of this forum including bedding the action.

wicat3
    Yeah that's the hard part I own the axis but how far can I take the axis compared to the 110. If I got a 110 in 30-06 I can change it to a 270 from my understanding and the parts are more available then an axis. I just worry that I put the money into the axis and when I go to sell it I can only get 200 dollars after putting more money than that into it.

Basic Member
    Barrels and bolt heads are interchangeable between the Axis and 110, with some assumptions. Barrel shank and firing pin size will need to match the Axis.

Don't worry about getting your money back out of a rifle, it is my experience that that never happens.

#1 rule firearms are always worth more in original configuration unless it was built by a famous gunsmith or owned by someone famous with documentation to back it up. Customized rifles or full blown customs usually won't resale for the money you spent on the parts to build it or have it built.

wicat3
    I have never gotten what I paid for out of my rifles. My point was I paid something like 350 for the axis and if I put another 200 into it for a stock and 150 for a trigger I'm up in the 700 dollar range and I doubt I would get anything over the 300 dollar range. Where as I can see a 110 with a Boyd stock I could see easily going for 500 dollars. I've been looking at a cheap ruger all American or a used Marlin x7

pawnshop110
    I would grab a used 110, pawn shops usually have good deals.

Banned
    Cablellas has the 116 Trophy hunter on sale from time to time and with a Savage rebate that's $150 off (I got one to play with)

For $420 you get a long action caliber of your choice, acu trigger (that can be made acu varmint with a spring change, a low cost scope (good to trade or you never know when you might need one to test) and base and rings.

Between taxes and selling the Axis you could get that.

As you can't get a Varmint contour barrel on any of them, that's a $64 question as to what you want long term.

If you want a different barrel and a good trigger then factor $100 for the trigger and 300 for the barrel (another 50-=100 to have someone change the barrel)

Stock is another issue. Call it Boyd's and $150 total for a Laminate. More for a composite that is good.

wicat3
    I wish I had a cabellas near me. I onlyhave a gander moutian and dicks sporting goods store. Im going to look around on gunbroker as Ivefound some good deals on the 10/110 and 11/111

Banned
    Check em out, Disks also has specials and Dicks only variation on the Savage.

Gunbrokers for the Savage has gone a bit nuts, used rifles the same as new ones.

You also have to pay shipping and the FFL.

wicat3
    Yeah I like the Dick's model that they offer just depends on if I can scrape together the 600 dollar price point.

Basic Member
    Second on pawn shops. And, watch gun broker. I have gotten savage rifles for less than 300 after all costs from GunBroker. I have found some for less a couple of times at the pawnshops.

Also, watch the classifieds here, you can get some nice stuff.

Banned
    Gun shows might be a way to go as well.

We don't have much in the line of pawnshops deal up here, haven't been to a gun show looking for a Savage, we have one coming up and am going to look around.

Here in me Ohio there are very few rifles at pawn shops . Basically handguns and shotguns here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wicat3
    I have seen some decent stuff on GunBroker for used mostly from pawn shops. I haven't seen any gun shows around me yet.

The few him shows around is the dealers have spiked those prices . Might as well buy new . I still go to 3 or 4 a year to get targets . Maybe a pretzel and hang out a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk