I've run around 200 rounds thru my stock barrel on the 10fcp-sr and grew tired of waiting on the stock. It'll be here at one point so not a major issue. Opted to mount the Shilen and break it in. I already had some brass from ammo I have bought. Reloaded it with N550 and STMK using various powder loads. Then it hit me. I might need a chronograph. No need in shooting these hand loads and basing everything off of group sizes in my opinion. Did the same thing with the 338 where hand loading is a must, especially for the wallet.

So, recommendations on chronographs? Good, bad and the ugly? Pro's/Con's, experiences. I've been eyeballing a few and have read tons of reviews on el cheapo's to dynamo's. The optical chronographs sound sketchy and I'm as likely to just wander down to the range on a day where it's raining as I am on a day when there isn't a cloud in the sky. Our range benches are under a steel roof and there is a drop off that is around 2-3 feet in front of the benches. I believe this was done so they would have the elevation to see the 500 yard targets. So the canopy chronographs concern me for two simple reasons. Height adjustment to compensate for the elevation change and reason number two, stability at this height. I've also read that most will buy an aftermarket camera tripod as they are of a higher quality, more stable. $200 chronograph and a good tripod($200?) and I'm pushing the Labradar range or the sonic one, can't recall the name of that one.

Price, well, concerned about price but after a few errors or if I'm at the range trying to shoot and I'm spending more time adjusting the optical chronograph than adjusting my rifle position or scope and the chrony will be the next target with the Lapua if it doesn't get beat off the concrete, lol! So convenience, not having to call a "Cold Firing" line because my junk ain't working or having to do that sort of b.s. IS a factor.

Any opinions, experience, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for any info.