Thread: 93R17 and magazine QC....or lack thereof

93R17 and magazine QC....or lack thereof

I had purchased from MidwayUSA two additional Savage mags for my .17HMR bolt rifle. One five round, one ten round, one of them blued and one in a stainless finish. First time out...no probs with either one, although as the other Midway purchaser reviews stated, you have to carefully and painstakingly pick out the shrink wrap (?) plastic packaging from the mag springs prior to use. On my second outing I experienced an amazing (to me) fail.....when racking the bolt back to eject round one and chamber round two, the entire remaining rounds flew (in formation...it was a sight to behold) out the port. Yep both mags (I had only loaded five into the ten round mag).
    I suppose Midway would have given me a refund; and/or I suppose I could have done some magazine surgery...perhaps the spring was somehow defective....but in my disgust I just tossed 'em into the trash barrel at the range. Out about $30. I don't get to punch holes in paper nearly as oftwn as I'd like to, but I have had no fails with the original blue steel finish five round mag that came with the rifle.

Anyone else have experience with this kind of fail....maybe know a fix?

Thanks!

Basic Member
    Contact Savage Tech Customer Service, explain the problem/s you had with the mag/s and they will send you a replacement. Savage Arms Technical Support 1 (413) 568-7001

I have a 2010 Mod 93R17.....Bought a 10 round magazine....Loaded it up, inserted it into the rifle & attempted to feed a round into the chamber....No go, would not feed into the chamber. Called Savage Tech Dept....Was advised that my rifle was to old to accept the new 10 rd. magazine...Was advised to take it to a gunsmith or better yet, send it to them for a modification....Took a loss on the 10rd. magazine....
    I bought a 5rd. magazine,,, no problems....
    GOOD LUCK..