Thread: .20 nosler varmageddon issues

Basic Member

.20 nosler varmageddon issues

So what's the secret to loading these n not chipping the metallic tip. I was going slowwww too. I miss just slamming in big caliber bullets haha

Basic Member
    anyway i figured out that if i wiggle/shake the press handle a little when it's halfway up in the die, it gets the bullet to seat without chipping the tip. just in case anyone runs into this issue

Might try adjusting your die again, I was crushing/breaking the tips when I first started reloading, and I did not have the seating die set correctly. I now start out with the seating die just barely seating the bullet, and then adjust the die down. Takes a bit of time but I don't break the tips anymore.

Basic Member
    For each round?

You should not have to "re-set" or adjust the die for each round. I admit I am a newb in the reloading world, but if you have the die set at the wrong/incorrect seating depth (screwed in too far), you will crush the tips when trying to seat the bullet in a case with a full powder charge.

Might try dis-assembling the seating die completely and cleaning it well. You could have some bits of broken tips in the die which is causing some or all of your problems.

schnyd112
    #1 would be to make sure the bullet is started straight so the tip goes into the recess and the case is centered in the shell holder
    #2 I seat the bullet about halfway, lower the ram, spin 180ish degrees and seat the rest of the way.
    #3 make sure your necks are soft enough. If you are having to use much pressure to seat, the necks may be hard and in need of annealing. new brass needs should be prepped just like once, twice, three times fired.

I haven't ever chipped any bullets reloading, but I have mangled plastic tips on the front of the magazine trying to shoot too fast.