Thread: Does anyone know.

Basic Member

Does anyone know.

Does anyone know of a barrel maker that makes a 257 Roberts barrel other than Shaw? I've heard/read they are bad for fouling. Every one I've looked at so far just has the 257 AI. Thanks.

Basic Member
    I would call some of the aftermarket barrel outfits. I bet some of them would be willing to purchase a reamer if they don't already have one. I have only done business with NSS and was very pleased with the Shilen I bought from them. X-caliber barrels has .257 Roberts listed on their website as a possibility.

Team Savage
    Pac-Nor will make and sell you a Savage pre-fit (chromoly or stainless ) barrel in the Bob. Not sure what their turn around times are currently running.
    Link below:
    http://pac-nor.com/

Team Savage
    Almost forgot, Devin at Sin Arms can also chamber a Savage pre-fit Brux barrel in 257 Roberts if you prefer cut-rifled rather than button-rifled. AND he is one of this site's sponsors.

http://www.sinarms.net/savage-rifle-prefit-barrel/

Shilen also chambers Savage pre-fit barrels in 257 Roberts. Northland Shooters Supply sells Shilen Savage pre-fits and they are another Site Sponsor.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/
    Last edited by Wildcat; 01-04-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Basic Member
    I will check into these, Thanks.

Basic Member
    Never heard of brux barrels. Are they better than the others mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by bam_bam View Post
    1) Never heard of brux barrels.
    2) Are they better than the others mentioned?
    1) Ok, but they are well known and established.
    2) Is Ford "better" than Chevy? Better is a description of personal preference, NOT a standard anything.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    1) Ok, but they are well known and established.
    2) Is Ford "better" than Chevy? Better is a description of personal preference, NOT a standard anything.
    Ok, makes sense. Thanks

IF you have a certain bullet you plan to use and have the barrel chambered & throated fo that specific bullet. MAKE SURE YOU GET IN WRITING THAT THE PERSON / Co. DOING THE CHAMBERING
    GUARANTEES THAT THE BARREL WILL BE CHAMBERED & THROATED FOR THE DUMMY ROUND YOU SEND THEM. Don't learn the hard way like I did.

Banned
    Never heard of brux barrels. Are they better than the others mentioned?
    I am going to disagree. Brus, Bartlein, Boots O are all cut rifled. That puts them in a class above button (on the average)

And nothing wrong with button rifles, that's my choice, but the cuts are stress free, hand fitted and lapped and that is what the hard core top shooters use.

I think of them as the Ford GT40 of Lemans fame.

A little late to the thread, sorry I don't get on here much anymore. But, Sinarms did a standard 257 Roberts chamber for me a few years ago for my daughter's lefty 16 Weather Warrior. So, I know he has the reamer for a standard Roberts.

12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Thanks! That's a great looking rifle.

Banned
    Same gun vice I have and his bench is cleaner!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Almost forgot, Devin at Sin Arms can also chamber a Savage pre-fit Brux barrel in 257 Roberts if you prefer cut-rifled rather than button-rifled. AND he is one of this site's sponsors.

http://www.sinarms.net/savage-rifle-prefit-barrel/

Shilen also chambers Savage pre-fit barrels in 257 Roberts. Northland Shooters Supply sells Shilen Savage pre-fits and they are another Site Sponsor.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/
    X2 on the Shilen - and NSS may be the best place to purchase the Shilen prefit. I have a Shilen 257 barrel, but it's on a different action, cut to 250 Ackley and installed by smith. I like the Shilen barrel with no exception. Had I been wanting it in a Savage Prefit the discussion would have been with NSS first.