Thread: Savage 24C

cwlongshot

Question Savage 24C

Hello guys,

Just joined and I am looking for some answers. I am hoping the collective knowledge base here can answer.

I have a few 24's and have a basic knowledge of the line as to most models and configurations. But I ran across one that has me perplexed...

I like in the North East (New England) so Savage is local to me as are many firearms makers. So we see a few "lunchbox" guns here more than other places and this is what my first thought was when I saw this one.

It dosen't saw Savage 24 on it anywhere. There are no stampings or engravings on the receiver water table or under the barrels. (Letter in circles denoting mfg date) Stamped into the side, quite crookedly, is the letters "RD" Followed with three digits. On the barrel;s all roll marks appear normal.

It appears to me to be a Savage 24C Campers companion and suggested to me to be a "P" model. But I am not expert. Here is some pictures.

Any help is most appreciated!

Thanks allot guys!

CW

What are the other three numbers.

You HAVE to get that gun lettered after they get up and running again.

The RD stands for "Research and Development", you've got something special there.
    Savage- "never say never".

cwlongshot
    Well,
    I guess that is a possibility...

I was leaning to "lunchbox gun" my self.

The other three are NOT 001. :) (Or even close)

CW

No it's not a possibility, I've been collecting Savage long enough to know that the RD does stand for research and development, I'm not just making that up.

cwlongshot
    Ha I did not mean to suggest otherwise and not doubting your experience. But, the stamping is something easily conterfitable. But I hope your correct!!

Its all cobbled and crooked, NOT at all straight and nice as a SN is or should be.

CW

cwlongshot
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    No it's not a possibility, I've been collecting Savage long enough to know that the RD does stand for research and development, I'm not just making that up.
    Mad Dog PM is inbound!

CW

CW got the pm, that gun is right as rain, don't think it's been counterfeited, can't see someone going through the trouble of marking it like that.

I wish Savage Arms was doing letters but they're slower than the second coming. If John Callahan still had them I could call one in, he used to be good for that to guys he trusted and knew they'd send him the money after the info. It came in handy in emergency situations like finding 1907 pistols that were nickel. He saved me alot of money that day as it turned out it left the factory blued.

I'll dig into this a bit more, I know a guy that has some R and D stuff, I don't think those serial numbers were very straight either.

cwlongshot
    Thank you very much.

Information is much appreciated.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    CW got the pm, that gun is right as rain, don't think it's been counterfeited, can't see someone going through the trouble of marking it like that.

I wish Savage Arms was doing letters but they're slower than the second coming. If John Callahan still had them I could call one in, he used to be good for that to guys he trusted and knew they'd send him the money after the info. It came in handy in emergency situations like finding 1907 pistols that were nickel. He saved me alot of money that day as it turned out it left the factory blued.

I'll dig into this a bit more, I know a guy that has some R and D stuff, I don't think those serial numbers were very straight either.
    J.C. isn't doing lettering anymore? What happened there?

He retired, Savage must have deep pockets because they bought the whole kit and caboodle back off him.

Actually Jim, whats the chances you can give your ole pal Effie a ring and see when they're gonna be up and running on the new letters?

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.