Thread: Apache gun works and Bison gun works

taxidermyguy

Apache gun works and Bison gun works

Does anyone know if these two companies are owned by the same person? They both are almost identical in prices and the blanks they use. I emailed them both and got a response from a Jim on both of them. The emails were even wrote the same.

Basic Member
    They are not the same business, but they are both named Jim and are relatives. Bison is a retiree that does good work, but no where as near as ambitious. He is content to do some here and there on a very part time basis, does little to promote his business and therefore not going to fall behind the same way Apache did. I have used him quite a bit when Apache is unable to help me as quickly as we'd both like. No complaints. He does good work, as far as I can tell. I consider both of them good friends.

taxidermyguy
    That makes sense. I was wondering. I just noticed the similarities between the two. Thank you

Basic Member
    I've had both and both were good. Mailed from a different address, but they're both in Louisiana

theroblong
    +1 for Jim @ Bison, I had him turn an 8 twist 308 barrel for a project I was working on, and had him cut, crown, and thread another barrel, shoots great!

Apache Gunworks

Quote Originally Posted by theroblong View Post
    +1 for Jim @ Bison, I had him turn an 8 twist 308 barrel for a project I was working on, and had him cut, crown, and thread another barrel, shoots great!
    Has anyone been able to get a barrel or even a email reply from Apache Gunworks in the last few months? I ordered and paid for a barrel in June and can't get ar eply.

Banned
    Maybe call.

I won't use him. Not because his work is not good, its the inconstant response and time lines.

He does say that up front on his web site.

Its great his quality control is most important, but as he open up orders when he is clear, you can't count on it and there are equally good suppliers and barrel makers out there that while it may be a wait, you know what it is and you will get it.

Thanks for the reply and reassurance. I think I'm not very good at hoping things are going to turn out well when all indications are that they won't. The absolute lack of communication is the worst indication that all's not well.

Enough whinning....it's a beautiful day in FLA.

IF you want your barrel chambered for a specific bullet / seating depth, my suggestion would be to contact Shilen . Don't know about Bison but Apache appeared to be to busy to add the extra step of throating my barrel for the dummy rounds that I included with my payment.

Banned
    Walther Lother is also has quite a good lineup.

I do have a Shilen and currently its doing the best of the 3 barrels (XC, Savage and the Shilen ) - I really like Shilen.

Lother Walther just happens to have the chamber I wanted for the 7.5 Swiss so went with them and will see how good they are. Shilen is by far the easiest to clean up.

I got one 1/4 inch group out of it last week, I pulled one on another one (in the middle). It opened it up to 1/2, but the other 4 were under 1/4. Can't complain when a pulled round gives you a 1/2 inch group!

BarryinIN
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaTarheel View Post
    Has anyone been able to get a barrel or even a email reply from Apache Gunworks in the last few months? I ordered and paid for a barrel in June and can't get ar eply.
    I ordered mine in early Feb last year. No barrel. No email replies.

BarryinIN
    I got a reply to one of my emails. He thinks mine may be one of the lost orders.
    FlaTarheel, you might keep trying. You may be in the same boat.

BarryinIN
    OK, FlaTarheel, he's confirmed it: My order was lost I guess you'd describe it. It was filed under "Completed".
    Keep trying and good luck.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaTarheel View Post
    If you haven't heard from Jim on your order PM me with your contact and order details. I'll get you a response this week!

I talk to Jim pretty much weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk