Thread: Eastern Arms 101-15 made for Sears (Stevens 311/Savage 5100) 12ga. tenite stock replacement Help!

Eastern Arms 101-15 made for Sears (Stevens 311/Savage 5100) 12ga. tenite stock replacement Help!

I have recently acquired an Eastern Arms 101-15 made for Sears (Stevens 311/Savage 5100) 12ga. sxs shotgun and I absolutely love the balance, feel, and function of this old girl. It came with a plastic (tenite) stock and forearm which I have learned was common during the war years. Problem is that the butt stock is cracked just below the safety (the wrist?) and I just don't think it's worth fixing a plastic stock when there are good walnut ones out there. The folks at gunstocksinc.com hooked me up with a partially inletted pistol grip type 2 stock that's just great, but now that I've taken the tenite off, I'm finding a stud attached to the receiver frame where the old stock screw went into. They tell me to just remove it and the new stock bolt that they sent will go right in. I've put some effort into it and it hasn't moved. Is there something that I'm missing here? Do I just need a good penetrating oil and some patience? Blowtorch? As a machinist (NOT a gunsmith) I really just want to toss it in the mill and go to town because, that's what I do for a living, but I'd like this to work out and not ruin this really cool old gun. Any help is appreciated even if it's just to direct me to a thread that has already dealt with this.

Thanks,

Jason

I used to have a Stevens 22/410 over under with the same tenite stock. I eneded up putting a wood stock set off a Savage model 24 on it and all I had to do was remove that stud and the other stock bolt screwed right in, a 5 minute job, not sure why it won't work for you.

Is the thread pattern the same? I guess I shouldn't even ask a machinist that question as I'm sure you've checked that already.

Or do you mean the stud won't come out? If thats the case ya, give it some heat, it's just stuck in there, it's threaded in as well. Don't worry about how it comes out, take it out in 30 pieces if you want, it's useless with the new stock set anyways.
    Savage- "never say never".

Thanks, Mad Dog. Yes, the threads match from receiver to new stock bolt. Yes, it was just stuck. A little penetrating oil and some "magic" words brought it right out. I guess I just wanted someone to tell me it was ok to get rough with it. I didn't want to be twisting on it to discover that it was pinned in or tack welded or something. And as far as questioning a machinist - that usually doesn't go well but apparently I'm the exception to the rule. Question everything is my usual method of operation and that includes myself. To an extent, and then forge on ahead. Thanks for getting to my question so quickly and my apologies for taking this long to reply. Life just got quite busy all of a sudden.

Thanks again,
    Jason