Thread: Stealth 6.5 creedmoor muzzle break

Stealth 6.5 creedmoor muzzle break

Hello everybody I just purchased a stealth in 6.5 creedmoor and would like to put a muzzle break on.
    What type have you guys used and like. Thank you, Michael

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fresno View Post
    Hello everybody I just purchased a stealth in 6.5 creedmoor and would like to put a muzzle break on.
    What type have you guys used and like. Thank you, Michael
    What is the reason to put muzzle break? Do you feel a lot of recoil? Or just for look? I do not feel any unmanageable recoil on my Stealth.

Basic Member
    Check out the Patriot Valley Arms Mad Scientist. Good price and easily installed at home.

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/pva-mad-scientist-brake/

Basic Member
    I have the APA GenII Little Bastard on mine. Works like it's supposed to, easy install and removal on any of my barrels, see no reason to try any others. A little pricier than the Mad Scientist above though.

Basic Member
    The APA Gen II little bastard is a very good brake as well. A buddy has one on his Ruger Precision Rifle and have been around q bunch at matches. They both are easy installs but the major difference between the two is that the little bastard directs a lot of the gases back at an angle at the shooter. The mad scientist has a flatter baffle and while still controlling recoil very well it also sends the gases straight out as opposed to back so you get less blast. Just something to think about for the OP.

Hawaiian
    Hey Fresno, here's a link to an test on various muzzle breaks on the 6.5. If you haven't read it yet it gives you something to think about.

If you're going to be shooting at a public range or club and don't want to have people next to you look at you funny you may want to consider the Mad Scientist or one of the other muzzle breaks that doesn't redirect the blast so dramatically. Rob01 is a great source for what works. I know I've bugged him from time to time.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...for-6mm-6-5mm/

Basic Member
    I totally agree with Hawaiian. Brakes are for competitions when the time between each shot is timed and to keep the muzzle down. The 6.5 does not generate much recoil either. If your just at local range with a brake you will not have many friends.

Basic Member
    Thanks Hawaiian. I have shot my Seekins, which was about halfway down the blog list, braked 6.5 Creedmoor next to my buddy's RPR with a Little Bastard, which was second place in that blog, and the difference was barely felt. Just wanted to mention that for the fact as when you make a chart like that it makes it look like one is so much better than the other and the actual shooting of both there is very little difference. Most any well made brake will cut recoil. I just put a clamp on Witt brake on a 7mm RM and shot it yesterday and it cut the recoil down to close to my Creedmoor from a rifle that left a bruise on my shoulder for 2 weeks from shooting 16 rounds through it. LOL

Hawaiian
    I have to agree with Rob01, I have one that didn't make the list a Precision Armament M41 I also have an Alamo four star. Both do a good job, the M41 sends the blast to the side. The alamo break sends it back and at an angle where the person shooting to your left or right will notice it. If I had given any thought to it I'd get a gen 2 Little Bastard or the Mad Scientist and just put it on which ever rifle I was shooting that day.

Basic Member
    Muzzle Brakes and More BEAST self timed brake love mine
    http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/

and great pricing as well
    6CM

Basic Member
    The above points are all valid and helpful. Shooting next to a braked rifle is annoying, which is why I will try to set up at a station with vacancies to either side at least. If the range is full up I will not shoot braked, unless the neighbors are as well. If I am shooting braked not many people will set up next to me though...whether this is a plus depends on the types of shooters that frequent your range. At the one I frequent (public) this can definitely be a plus...we get all kinds.

Another point is that a break can change your POI, mine shifts up a couple inches and a tad left at 100 with the brake. Something to consider.

Basic Member
    POI shift isn't a big deal unless you plan to take it on and off. Then you can log any shift.

I usually don't have a spotter so it's nice to see my own vapor trail and impact at longer distances. Be it a 243win or a 300winmag. Obviously for hunting I prefer a bare muzzle no matter the size of the cartridge.

APA lil bastard is a first-class brake if you don't mind spending that much cash.

Do yourself a favor and read the following blog. It will answer all your questions and give you a better understanding about the choicest muzzle brakes.
    http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...-test-results/

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    Thanks Hawaiian. I have shot my Seekins, which was about halfway down the blog list, braked 6.5 Creedmoor next to my buddy's RPR with a Little Bastard, which was second place in that blog, and the difference was barely felt. Just wanted to mention that for the fact as when you make a chart like that it makes it look like one is so much better than the other and the actual shooting of both there is very little difference. Most any well made brake will cut recoil.
    As I said when that PRB article was linked above in the post.

Also, those are only some of the brakes available. Some good ones aren't on there but still do an excellent job. Just because a brake isn't on their test doesn't make it not a good choice.

Basic Member
    I have not see reason for muzzle device on 6.5CM yet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmaris View Post
    If you shoot PRS style matches there is an advantage with having less recoil and faster follow up shots. Brakes help.

Hawaiian
    They are pretty handy when you have more that one coyote messing with expensive Wagyu calves.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmaris View Post
    The recoil is mild but spotting hits and misses at 300 yards or less by yourself can be a problem in my experience. That's the only reason I would consider it but all my 6.5s are still brake-less.

RonV
    I have a 6.5 Stealth and I installed a JP tank, it works OK, recoil isn't my concern. I am still getting a bit too much flip. Anyone have a recommendation? I am shooting 147 gr. EXD Hornady match ammo off a bi-pod. I can get back on target in time to watch hits at 500-600 yds, but cant follow the flight.

Basic Member
    I am new the Forum and 6.5 Creedmoor as well. One thing I have not seen is how well the Creedmoor does being suppressed. I have a BA Stealth that I purchased recently ( haven't shot it yet) and was planning on putting my Crux Ark 30 on it. Any cons to shooting it suppressed?

OP - PRI makes brakes that work but as others have said, you will not make any friends at the range with it.

Basic Member
    No cons to shooting suppressed. I have a .338 can that I use on mine. Works fine.

Basic Member
    I put a 3-port "beast" on my gun from Muzzlebrakesandmore.com. It does a great job of keeping the gun in place so I can be my own spotter. It also looks really good as it is contoured almost perfectly for this barrel. Disregard the messy bench
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Also, my buddy has the same gun, and sometimes shoots it with a can. No real issues, but it does change his POI pretty significantly