Thread: my first impression of my new 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor

shaggy151

my first impression of my new 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor

First off, I'm not a professional reviewer. So, please bear with me. I don't know the exact specs on this gun because they are not posted anywhere and are not in the paperwork.

I was in my local gun shop and saw what appeared to be a "new" model of Savage that I was not aware of. I picked it up for a closer look and saw that its a Model 10 FCP-SR chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle came in a Savage Accustock in Flat Dark Earth color. It had a 24" heavy barrel and had a threaded muzzle with a thread protector in place. The barrel was also NOT fluted like the .308 FCP-SR. It also came equipped with the Accutrigger. It came with Pictanny scope base installed. Another notable difference between this gun and the .308 FCP-SR is the bolt handle. This bolt handle is a rounded pear shaped oversize type as opposed to the very large bolt handle that comes on the .308. I actually like this bolt much more. This rifle also has a 10 round detachable box magazine. It's a metal/plastic magazine that's exclusive to Savage. I had been wanting a long range rifle and this appeared to be the perfect starter long range rifle for me. I asked the gun shop owner some for info on this gun. He stated that its a distributor exclusive gun that Savage has made in limited runs. Since this was also chambered in 6.5, I had to have this rifle. I paid $600+tax for this rifle and Savage is currently offering a $75 rebate. I felt this rifle was a real good deal at $525 + tax.

My plans are to set this rifle up for long range shooting. Therefore, I've narrowed down my scope choice to a Vortex Viper PST GEN II FFP 5-25x50. Since that scope won't be on shelves for another few weeks, I decided to just put on a cheap Chinese scope until I can get my hands on the Vortex. Once I got the rifle home I decided to go ahead and clean it and mount the scope. The next morning, I headed out to the range to do a lil barrel "break in" and see what kind of potential this rifle may possess. I purchased a box of Hornady ELD 140gr Match ammo and decided to use that. Ok, I did "my" routine of break-in by cleaning the barrel after each of the first 5 rounds and then shooting three shot groups and then cleaning the barrel after each three shot group and then to 5 shot groups.

First of all, the trigger is light and crisp. A very nice factory trigger. Second, I cant wait until I get a good quality scope on this gun.

This gun has a lot of potential. After I got it on paper at 50 yards, I then moved the target out to 100 yards to see if my old eyes, nerves and trigger finger can make any type of group while still breaking in the barrel. I managed a couple of .75" 5 shot groups. I'm very pleased with the accuracy because I am very confidant that this rifle will be capable of some great groups once the barrel is fully broke in. Also, another good thing, The soft rubber butt pad worked great at eliminating any felt recoil.

Now to the negative things. The magazine only holds 9 rounds even though it states 10 rounds. It also locks-in a little differently than most magazines. Not a big deal, just different. It also didn't feed ammo as smoothly into the chamber as I would have liked. And now to the very negative,... In the 20 rounds it failed to eject "EVERY" round I fired. It would pull the round from the chamber a couple inches and then would just release it . This alone was a big pain. This was very disappointing, but overall I'm confidant that this is going to be a great starter long range gun for me,..... well, as soon as it returns from Savage.

Mrseafoo
    I'm looking at the 10t, I think the difference is the threaded barrel and 10rd dbm. That 75.00 rebate is tempting!

Basic Member
    Shaggy, thanks for the review. I've been considering that model in Creedmoor. However, I have had my reservations. It seems every time I read about a Savage Creedmoor rifle, there is some problem. It sounds like yours is minor though. I would like to hear how it performs once Savage corrects the issue and you shoot it some more. I have read about the 10 round magazines being finicky to feed. I think another member said the flush-style magazines feed fine, but they will probably only hold 4 rounds. Coincidentally, I am also interested in the Vortex PST Gen II scope. I am more interested in the second focal plane version though. I think these are the specs for your rifle, copied from elsewhere:

SAVAGE
    SAV Model 10FCP-SR 6.5 Creedmoor 24 Inch Threaded Barrel Black Finish Accutrigger Flat Dark Earth Synthetic Accustock 10 Round
    Model 10FCP-SR Flat Dark Earth
    Threaded, suppressor-ready muzzle. Flat dark earth AccuStock with three-dimensional bedding system. Equipped with user-adjustable AccuTrigger; tactical bolt handle and three swivel studs. Twenty-four inch heavy barrel, threaded at 5/8-24 tpi with cap. One-piece EGW scope mount base. 10-round detachable box magazine.
    Series: Law Enforcement
    Magazine: Detachable box
    Stock Material: Synthetic
    Barrel Material: Carbon Steel
    Barrel Finish: Matte
    Barrel Color: Black
    AccuTrigger: Yes
    AccuStock: Yes
    Features: includes 1-piece scope rail
    Handed: Right
    Rate of Twist: 1 in 8
    Weight: 9 lbs
    Overall Length: 46.25"
    Barrel Length: 24"
    Ammo Capacity: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Mrseafoo View Post
    I'm looking at the 10t, I think the difference is the threaded barrel and 10rd dbm. That 75.00 rebate is tempting!
    The 10T has a bottom bolt release. The 10 FCP-SR is top release. I think the barrel on the 10T is a bit heavier and has 5R rifling too.....two nice features IMO.

shaggy151
    Nic,

Thanks for the info. I had hoped that it would have had the same 5R barrel as the 10T, but this one does have a threaded end. Its still got great potential as a very affordable long range gun though. I am disappointed about the extractor issues, but I think anyone who's read anything on Savages knows that extractor issue is somewhat common. Since posting the review I spoke with one of the gun shop workers and he said Savage usually has a two week turn around on repairs.
    I know people may wander what I base my opinion on when I said that this rifle has great potential, considering its negatives. So to give a little back ground on me. I'm a 24 year law enforcement officer and firearms instructor. I am in no way a long range expert, but Ive handled many firearms over the years and I doubt a better, new in the box production rifle can be found under $1,000.
    I'll post an update when I get it back from Savage, and then again after I get my PST mounted and I've had the chance to try it out at some longer distances.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the initial review. I've got the same rifle waiting at my FFL for pickup when I get back home on Tuesday. Glad to hear there's good accuracy potential as I too am looking to do long range paper punching with it.

Sorry to hear about the extractor issue. I had a Savage scout in .308 that did that every now and then and wasn't the reason I sold it. Hopefully Savage will make it right quickly for you.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Banned
    First off, I'm not a professional reviewer. So, please bare with me. I don't know the exact specs on this gun because they are not posted anywhere and are not in the paperwork.
    First I am not going to get naked with you

Sounds like a good gun to have at the 6.5 arena with.

Basic Member
    Shaggy,

Looking forward to an update. I may give the rifle a try if the price drops any more.............like I need another rifle. But, I do like that the model is a top bolt release. That could possibly make it easier for upgrades down the road. I have shied away from the 10T since it is a bottom bolt release model. Like you said, the threaded muzzle is a plus, and that is a feature I like as well. I run suppressors, and I am waiting on another stamp for a 30 caliber suppressor, which would be right at home on the rifle. I do like the thicker contour barrel on the 10T. (Wished it was 26" length though.) The 5R feature is not that big a deal to me. I cannot find anything definitive that says the 5R rifling is a big advantage over other rifling. Others may disagree. My .308 Savage 10 FCP-SR has 5R rifling, and that is all I can say about it. It does shoot well though. But, all my other rifles have regular rifling and I can make many of them shoot well too.

Basic Member
    I have the same gun in 6.5 and it wont eject either i was thinking of trying to fix it myself , the spent brass just lays in the magwell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaggy151
    Quote Originally Posted by shiyfire View Post
    I have the same gun in 6.5 and it wont eject either i was thinking of trying to fix it myself , the spent brass just lays in the magwell

Yep,... that's exactly what mine does as well.

shaggy151
    I went by my local gun shop this morning and told him about the problems that I was having with the gun. He said that he had another brand new identical rifle in the store on the shelf and he then checked it to see if it feed and ejected properly and it did. He then swapped out the bolt ejector and spring with the gun he had on the shelf and with mine. Mine now works perfectly. He called Savage and they have a new ejector and spring on the way to him for his. I'm lucky to have a top notch local gun shop who I do business with.

Basic Member
    Weak spring maybe?

shaggy151
    Yes, That's what me and the shop owner believe is that it was just a weak spring.

Quote Originally Posted by shiyfire View Post
    Weak spring maybe?

shaggy151
    Well,... I ordered the extractor/ejector kit from Sharp Shooter Supply and it appears to have solved my ejection issues. The kit came with a redesigned ejector and new ejector spring and a new redesigned extractor and a new extractor ball and it utilized the OEM extractor spring. This appeared to be $24 well spent.

Basic Member
    I replaced the detent ball and it helped mine,it dont just lay in the action like it was

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk