Thread: Savage 25 LV-T .223 - Any Good?

Quinny

Savage 25 LV-T .223 - Any Good?

I was looking at the Savage website, and spotted the model 25 LV-T, which looks pretty cool, and is a decent price. I have read a few stories about these rifles having problems with jamming. Does anyone here have one, what do you think of it. Any other information would be great. Thanks.

claysshotgunner

Re: Savage 25 LV-T .223 - Any Good?

I had one in 204 Ruger, and never had a jam problem with it. It was a great little gun except for one thing. It had a VERY difficult bolt lift. From posts I made about it on several sites, this is on every one of them. Something about the cocking on opening function. There was no way to lift the bolt without taking it of the shoulder. I traded mine and ended up with a Model 11, and am going in that direction.

It has a detachable magazine, which is made of plastic. Never had a jam, but only put 80 rounds thru it. Oh, those I spoke with said the bolt lift got a lot better after about 100 rounds.

It was very accurate and fun to shoot, just that darn heavy lift.

oldguy

I have one in 223, fired perhaps 400 rounds, no problems at all other then the stiff bolt lift but that has improved, accuracy with my reloads average less then 1/2 inch @ 100 yards using an Intensity 5x20x44 scope. One of the few rifles I've ever owned (other then a Remington 788) that is difficult to shoot a bad group with, only down side to savage fans is changing the barrel would be a gunsmith issue, however with groups of 1/2 inch not a concern..

dozernomore

I have a model 25 LV in the 204 ruger,,,,and it's definitely a keeper,,,sure the bolt is a little ruff,,,but man does it shoot,,especially with handloads

Quinny

The 12 FVSS is not much more expensive than the 25 LV-T - what is the FVSS like, I have heard mixed reports with some people having ejection issues, and a few comments about how the bullet sits too far from the lands... I am not a fan of the blind mag, but that is not a big deal.

fatdaddy

If money is not the deciding factor, I would own the model 12FV or FVSS. I have 3 and none have shot worse than .7, when I did my part, right out of the box. Then you start changing parts and It just gets better. Any feed problems I have had were caused by me not being able to leave a good gun be... see changing calibers, barrels, bolt face, stocks, triggers....Bill