Thread: Knife for my hunting pack?

oompahlumpa

Knife for my hunting pack?

I am looking for a knife for my hunting pack, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. My budget is under $75, and I would ideally attach it handle down on one of my pack straps, for quick release and use if need be. Does anyone know of anything that would work well for me in that price range?

Depends what you want it for. You mentioned quick release thought so I'm guessing your not looking for a Skinner.

I carry a buck knives paklite set for hunting tasks. For everything else in the woods I carry either a becker bk-2 or bk-7. I carry the beckers as more of a utility/survival option.

Basic Member
    Wide Glide hits it on the nose when he asks "what you want it for?" I carry a Silver Stag Schnoor sheath knife for hunting. It has a d2 steel blade. On the plus side, it holds an edge really well. On the down side, it is a little harder too sharpen and is quite brittle - you have to be careful not to drop it or abuse it. It works for me because I debone my game in the field. I need a sharp edge, but, the edge does not get abused.

schnyd112

this is my hunting knife. Small enough to stick clear up inside animals, great skinner and I have yet to find something it is too small for. My only issue is with retention, just a oversized, leather scabbard so carrying handle down would not be a good idea.

i also like the Esee izula ii, I think it comes with a kydex holster. I like the smaller, easier to manipulate blades. I have also moved away from folders completely. Fixed are so much more trustworthy, easier to clean, easier to sharpen.

this is my big one. I have yet to take it out of the truck. It's too big and aside from building a house, I can't find a suitable use for it.

Basic Member
    I gave up folders for hunting after using an Outdoor Edge for a couple of years. Just decided moving parts of any kind on a slippery knife was not a good idea for me. I have an Esse Iii on the outside of my pack strap in the kydex case it comes with. No problem at all carrying handle down. Retension is adjustable and stays where you set it even soaking wet. BUT I also carry an Izula ii w micarta scales as my edc so it is always with me as well. Have been very pleased with both, especially with the micarta linen scales.

oompahlumpa
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide Glide View Post
    I carry the beckers as more of a utility/survival option.
    This is more of what I was looking for

oompahlumpa
    I think I am going to go with a SOG Seal Pup Elite.

schnyd112
    Quote Originally Posted by oompahlumpa View Post
    This is more of what I was looking for
    Yeah those are bigger than anything I carry. I got a big one, it was on sale, i have hardly used it so I don't have any thoughts on the blade. If I were to pick a larger knife, I really like my buddies esee 4. I like the drop point blade as you can still use it for skinning but too big for anything I need. it feels good, There are options if you don't like the handle and it has a nice blade.